Friday, 17 February 2017

Faux Encaustic Play

Hello Friends,

Since the beginning of 2017 I have been teaching art to a home-school student, the daughter of a friend. Our last lesson was all about technique, which is important, but I believe it is just as important to simply play with art as well. I have seen some very good artists lose the joy of creating because they are so focused on technique and results that they forget to toss out the rules sometimes and just play. I want to instill in my student the importance of both.

So today I got out my crayons, pancake griddle, heat gun and other encaustic tools and encouraged her to play. There was some technique involved, such as fusing the layers and how to clean the brushes, but basically I gave her free reign. It was fun to watch her smile the whole time she created and then she turned out this beautiful abstract painting as a result. I love the bloom she achieved in the bottom right corner with a bit of white and the heat gun.

Thanks for popping by. I hope you take time to play in some way today.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa


5 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you and your student are having fun, and you are teaching her the right principles! Hugs, Valerie

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Teresa, I want some lessons! Not only was that a fun day, the end result is gorgeous. What a marvelous color combo. I'd hang that in my living room. :-D

Terry JP Arsenault said...

When I look at this, I see two small children like images facing each other with their arms out, almost like they are dancing together.

Angela Hoynes said...

Well spotted Terry! I wish I could have joined in Teresa. I know about encaustic art with wax and iron, is using crayons, pancake griddle and heat gun similar?

Teresa Arsenault said...

I see twin babies in utero