Saturday, 28 January 2017

My Little Flock

Hello Friends,

Today I thought I would share something different with you. This past summer my husband built an indoor aviary for me and my birds. I started off with five: two zebra finches, two budgies and my 15-year-old dove, Treasure.

The finches (Fred & Wilma) went from nest building, and a couple of failed attempts at raising youngsters, to having three healthy babies. I have re-homed one of the babies (the only female), but I might keep the two boys. None of them like hands, but they will often land on my head and shoulders, tugging on my hair and munching on spray millet I have secured in it.

The budgies, Skylar & Opal, have no such inclinations, which is fine with me. I got them from our local Humane Society and they were very skittish for a long time. Now they are quite relaxed around me, letting me stand very close and responding positively to my voice.
My latest additions to my aviary are a pair of cockatiels. They are about six months old so I won't know their sexes for another two months when they have their first big molt. I am waiting until then to name them. I got them about a week ago and they have settled in nicely, getting along with all of the other birds and responding well to my voice. I can stand right next to them and if I lift my hand very slowly, they don't fly away. I don't know if they will ever be hand-tamed, but it's possible.
We even have a little visitor with us for a few months. Oskette (formerly Oscar, until the owners were informed they had a female) was not getting on in her home, due to an overdone wing clipping. She could not keep up with the other budgies in her flock and the dog tried to get her whenever she landed on the floor. Now she is doing very well. She can't fly far yet, but there are lots of places to climb, including the sides of the aviary, and she gets along well with my budgies, Skylar & Opal.
And then we come to Treasure, poor darling. She has been broody since my finches (Wilma & Fred) started raising youngsters. She keeps laying and brooding eggs. She doesn't associate with the other birds and she doesn't even enjoy her human cuddles as much as she used to do. I have come to the conclusion that nothing will do but to get her a mate of her own species. I have an opportunity to acquire three doves tomorrow. I will see which (if any) will bond with Treasure and then re-home the other two. That is the plan. In the meantime, I will have to expand the perching spaces in my aviary. That means I will have to move my guinea pig cage to the other end. Oh yes, did I forget to mention I also have two female GPs?
Treasure and her egg
And here are Emma and Malu, my guinea pigs.
Malu
Emma is likely an Abyssinian/Peruvian cross
Malu is a Texel GP
Thank you for visiting me and my little darlings today. I hope you enjoyed this different kind of post. My aviary pets are my little piece of heaven on earth.

Hugs, Teresa

6 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You are right, I love your post today! Those birds and the GPs are all very lucky to live with you where you love them and care for them so well. Hugs, Valerie

Linda W. said...

Super post Teresa! I love it and so glad you are finding a dove mate!

NanaConnie said...

Oh, Teresa, what a marvelous post today! Lovely photos of each of the feathered family. I'm so hoping that Treasure finds a mate. :-D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful love this makes my heart so happy and I love yourset up so much

Jeanette said...

Love your post today Teresa. Your birds are very lucky to have you. I have two cockatiels,Feathers who is 18 yrs old and Jim who is 6yrs. Unfortunately neither would tame down, but they are allowed to fly loose in the house during the day and usually go back into their cages at night. Just have to keep the cat out until they do-:)
Jeanette, New Zealand.

Angela Hoynes said...

Lovely post, I did enjoy meeting all your little friends. I do miss my birds, but we go off in the caravan so often it would be a burden for my daughter. I know some people take their birds with them, but my husband is not keen. Guinea pigs make lovely pets too, I love their little noises and the way they talk back! I would have a houseful of pets if I was allowed :)