Thursday, 2 June 2016

Cereal Box Art - Part One

Hello Friends,

I have been working on a really fun art project the last couple of days. I found it on Tim Coffey's You Tube video channel. Tim has three short videos outlining the process. Here is the first video:

Here is what I started with:
I sealed my box and covered it with masking tape, for stability and also for the cool texture. Then I realized I'd forgotten to add my wire to the back of the box for hanging. Doh! I had to slice open the top so I could do that. Then more tape. I added a layer of Gesso, for tooth, and then painted the entire box brown.

Then I randomly glued on my printed out Tim Coffey digital sunflowers. You can pick up the free image HERE.
The next part is really cool and fun. I traced the images with my hot glue gun. This took a bit of time, but it was so worth it. The next step was to add a layer of white Gesso.

Once the Gesso was good and dry, I added a wash of burnt umber. A wash is just really watery acrylic paint. I wiped off the excess so the effect was just to accent the texture in the flowers.
Since it took me two days to complete this project, I am going to share it with you in two posts. Thanks for visiting. I hope you come back to see the rest of my process and my final results.

hugs & smiles,
Teresa

7 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Oooh hot glue art...so fabulous it looks...I have seen the technique but never tried it...I bet you had fun!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic result, nobody would ever guess this started as a cereal box! Well done! Hugs, Valerie

NanaConnie said...

Oh, this is going to be fantastic, Teresa! Love the hot glue idea for adding that wonderful texture. I just threw a cracker box into the cardboard recycling and am going to go retrieve it. :-D I may try something along this line but will have to buy more gesso.

Desire Fourie said...

Amazing start to an awesome piece of wall art.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Nancy said...

Very cool! :o)

Angela Hoynes said...

This is an amazing project, oddly enough I have been thinking about making a stencil box with some cereal boxes. I would never have thought of using masking tape for texture and stability. Well done x

Patricia St Martin said...

So interesting and love what you have done so far can not wait to see how you finish the project. Never thought of using hot glue.
Hugs Pat