Friday, 3 June 2016

Cereal Box Art - Part Two

Hello Friends,

Yesterday I shared with you the beginnings of a new up-cycling art project, that started with an empty cereal box. (Refer to my previous post for the first steps, links to the tutorials and free digital image.) Today I am going to show the painting process.

For my first layer I used yellow on the petals, teal on the center and an orange-red for the background. I applied a yellow-orange wash over everything once those first colours were dry, wiping over the raised areas with a paper towel. Then, when the wash was set, I dry-brushed some brown on and around the centers.
For my next layer I hit the raised areas with metallic bronze paint. I had only gold so I added a touch of brown to it. Then I perked up the centers with a lighter teal colour. I randomly swished this same colour over the background, wiping it with a paper towel wherever it was heavier than I liked.

Next I went around the raised areas with brown paint, which I quickly wiped with a paper towel, leaving it a little more concentrated just around the images. I went around the outer edges of the flower centers as well. I just love the texture created by the masking tape I wrapped around the box.
I wasn't satisfied with the painting at this point so I set to tweaking it. First I brushed on some of that teal paint, in the same manner as I had done the brown. Then I dry-brushed some white paint on the raised areas and centers. I still wasn't happy, so I randomly finger-dabbed on gold, white and red paint. I added a few dots of paint (with a small brush) to the centers as well.
I let the painting sit over night because I was getting to that stage where I didn't know if I would end up ruining it by doing too much. Am I the only one who does that? I smiled when I saw it this morning so it is no longer in danger of being over-done.

Here are some shots of the finished piece. I took some new pics this morning and then realized why my photos have been so horrible. My camera was on the wrong setting. Doh! These pics are much better.
Thanks for dropping by. I hope you give Tim Coffey a visit, either on his You Tube channel or his web site.

Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

7 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Absolutely stunning. Love the dimension and texture on those sunflowers.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Valerie-Jael said...

Absolutely stunning! I will look at his channel when I have some time. Hugs, Valerie

NanaConnie said...

Oh, my, I am head over heels about this finished project, Teresa! Absolutely incredible. Now you have me wondering how one of these would look with either roses or irises. Hmmm....

Nancy said...

That turned out really great, Teresa! Sunflowers are my favorite! I just took a peek at the video. I remember when Tim first posted that but forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Angela Hoynes said...

I love the colours you have used. I think I shall have to go and buy some cereal!!

Patricia St Martin said...

Gorgeous! Love the texture and your colors turned out wonderful. The sunflowers are beautiful. Now I have to go check out the videos and see what this is all about. If you have shown everything it looks pretty easy. Thanks for sharing this never seen this before.
Hugs Pat

Karon said...

Stunning creation, texture colour and dimension! Beautiful!