Friday, 5 February 2016

Altered Peanut Butter Jar

Hello Friends,

Today I have an altered peanut butter jar to show you. Some of you know I co-lead a mid-week children's ministry. Every sixth week we have a "Worship & Waiting" session where we spend a whole hour worshiping God to music. During this time the Lord speaks to the children in different ways. Sometimes they draw pictures, get a bible verse or even a song.

Last year I quickly cut a hole into the lid of clean peanut butter jar so they would have a place to put their notes, which are shared with everyone at the end. As you can see from the next two pictures, the jar was not very pretty and I did not have the proper tools on hand to cut a decent hole.
The first thing I did was paint on a couple layers of Gesso to give the surfaces some tooth. Then I decoupaged a torn up doily for some texture. Next I randomly painted on metallics in pink, gold and white. My final step with the jar was to write some appropriate words on with a black Sharpie.
Now you know I had to do something about that horrible lid. After two layers of Gesso, I painted it gold. Once the paint was dry I took my craft knife and cut the hole wider and straighter. Then I cut out a piece of pretty card-weight paper, but I did not match the hole to the one in the jar lid. You will notice from the above photo that the hole was not centered. So I made the hole in my paper the size I wanted and just let it partially cover the hole in the plastic lid.
Thanks for stopping by to visit. I look forward to reading your comments.

Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

Challenges:
Altered Eclectics - Altered items or mixed media
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - altered art or mixed media

9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your altered jar is beautiful, great idea. Have fun with the kiddies, hugs, Valerie

Angela Hoynes said...

Well done on the jar and lid. I should think that kind of plastic is very difficult to cut. An hour of music worship - heavenly!

Sandra Cox said...

What a great idea!

NanaConnie said...

Great idea and I know the kids are going to love it. :-D

Dr Sonia S V said...

Not only is your altered jar gorgeous to look at in the shimmering gold and burst of rich colors but I love the idea behind it

Julie Short said...

What a good way to recycle and inspire the children as well. Thanks for linking to Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month.

Cara Malmrose said...

Great recovery! Love the colors and your reason for making it.
Thanks for sharing!
(Hugs) Cara

Nan Bourdeu said...

Awesome way to make something useful and beautiful at the same time! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! Nanette, DT

Judy McKay said...

Love your altered peanut butter jar. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Judy DT