Monday, 15 February 2016

Altered Box

Hello Friends,

Today I want to share with you a project that was very challenging for me to do. It was not challenging because it was especially difficult to do, but because the person (my husband) I was making it for was around me almost constantly. Usually I love to have my darling Terry close by, but when you are hoping to surprise someone, you need them gone some of the time. I did finally get to do it this weekend. However, I totally forgot to take a before picture. Urgh! I thought I had done so, but I can't find it so I guess I didn't take one after all.

Originally, the box (which I picked up at a thrift store) had a plaid pattern and teddy bear on the front. It is one of those boxes that looks like a book. I started with two coats of white Gesso. Next I scraped on some texture paste (Spackle) and pressed corrugated cardboard into it. I decoupaged a napkin over this and then started adding layers of acrylic paint. I'm sorry I don't have process pics for you. I was scrambling to get this done and dried between layers.
FRONT

SPINE

BACK

INSIDE
I knew this gift would be the perfect place for Terry to store all of my cards and letters. He keeps them all and even has letters I wrote to him when we were teenagers.

The bottle is a magazine cut-out (years in my stash)  
Tag sticker with brad "Always"
 I picked up this darling set of heart-shaped lock and keys at the dollar store, but I had to figure out how to make a closure to go with it. After rummaging through my supplies, I cut a length of chain from a spool and wired a washer to each end.
Some time ago I made a batch of tags from leftover file folder scraps. I used one of these for my gift. I made the faux-metal tag more recently, planning to use it on this project. The rhinestone heart in the center is a sticker.
Finally, I carefully wrapped my gift in tissue and then a sheet of gold wallpaper from one of my wallpaper sample books that I received from a friend recently. I tied it with a tag (cut from the wallpaper book) and tied it with several layers of curling ribbon. Terry was thrilled with his gift.
Thank you for visiting. I hope you didn't mind my posting so many photos. I really enjoyed making this mixed media project.

Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

Challenges:
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Recycle/Upcycle
Altered Eclectics - altered, upcycled, mixed media
We Love 2 Create - anything creative/mixed media
Artistic Inspirations - ATG
Not Just Cards - ATG
Path of Positivity - Desire
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - altered, recycled, mixed media

15 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a gorgeous present for your hubby - a box full of love! He will treasure it! Hugs, Valerie

Memories Crafter said...

Oh what a stunning gift for Terry! That's so sweet that he treasures all your cards and letters. Not many guys do that and I bet they bring back fond memories. Have a lovely Monday Teresa. Hugs, Christina

Debbie said...

Wow, Teresa! This is gorgeous! This is a wonderful project, but I think it's so cool he keeps all your notes!! [A few yrs ago in an insane moment, we got rid of many of our letters. :( But my hubby has all my recent cards on the wall above his desk. ♥ ]

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW what gorgeous texturing and love the metal charms you added!!

Patricia St Martin said...

Teresa, This is a wonderful gift. I love the texture you added and the perfect place for Terry to place all his cards and letters throughout the years. The color is wonderful love the beautiful touches you added, the lock with the keys and chain with all the hearts around it and then a special gift. You are just a sweetheart.
Hugs Pat

Angela Hoynes said...

Brilliant! I just love that texture and colour x

Team Clark said...

This turned our brilliantly, Teresa! I just know he loved it!

Pat said...

I'm sure he loved it. What a clever idea! I love snagging those unbelievable deals from my local Goodwill store. I just need the time to alter them all! LOL This is perfect for the theme of Desire at the Path of Positivity this month.

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Fabulous project idea and stunning too -
Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Ha, ha! I had to laugh at your struggle to create this "secretly" for the hubs. No easy task and I pictured you going into ninja-like top-secret crafty maneuvers to keep it hidden! But wow! It really is a beautiful tribute to love and it made me smile. Though we didn't get to see the "before" shot (I often forget to take those pictures, too), I can say with assurance that this beats the pants off any plaid teddy bear box! I also really appreciate how you made it lovely on the inside, too. Great work and thanks so much for sharing your art and your story with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Katrina Brown said...

Wow, this is an amazing project! I love your desire to make something special for your guy and go to great lengths to keep it secret, too! The textures and colors are wonderful! Thanks for sharing in our Desire Challenge at PoP!
Katrina
ScrappyHorses.blogspot.com

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Such a beautiful project and know your hubby loves it!

hazel said...

A wonderful altered box, your husband must have loved it, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
xxx Hazel.

Natalie said...

wonderful project!
Thanks for playing along in the Artistic Inspirations Challenge.
Hugs,
Natalie
INKognito

Pippa said...

Brilliant idea and brilliantly made. I empathise completely with you over keeping things secret from husbands. I once decided to knit a secret jumper, hiding it was a nightmare! Your box is a beautiful work of art. Thank you for sharing it at the Path of Positivity. Pippa PoP DT