Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Upcycled Bran Bar Box

Hi Friends,

As my regular followers know, I love frugal crafting. That is one reason I follow Lindsay Wierich, The Frugal Crafter. Lindsay has tons of great ideas for "using what you have", she has lots of skills that she loves to share, and her You Tube videos are more fun than any others I have come across. A couple of months ago she did a tutorial for upcycling cracker boxes into cute journals. You can find her video here.

We eat a lot of Bran Bars and I just hate throwing out all that lovely box board, but really how many tags can a gal make? I wanted to try something different and just now an artist friend is in the hospital. I thought she could use one of these upcycled journals as a sketch book.

While Lindsay painted her journals, I decided to cover mine with a cute K&Co. patterned paper that is perfect for this week's Color Challenge at The Outlawz. I used a gingham check Washi tape to finish the edges.
I used a button for my closure and gold elastic cord. The same Washi tape that lines the edges of my book holds my cardstock pages together too.

Once I had taken my photos I realized my little upcycled sketch book was missing something. But what? That little butterfly in the corner must have influenced me. Recently I bought some Dylusions spray inks and played around with them on some chipboard die cuts. The inks soaked right in so I added a coating of gel medium mixed with gold mica powder. The combination with the unevenly distributed ink sprays was magic.
And here is my friend's completed hospital sketch book. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your visit and love reading your sweet comments.

Hugs & smiles,
Teresa
Challenges:
The Outlawz Color Challenge -

 Through the Craft Room Door - always anything goes
Crafty Girls Creations - always anything goes
Crafting with Friends - always anything goes
Creative Fingers - always anything goes
Jo's Scrap Shack - anything goes
Simply Papercraft - always anything goes
Allsorts - anything but a card

11 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a beautiful journal you have created, love the colours too. Your friend will love it. Hugs, Valerie

Dr Sonia S V said...

This is super!!

applejack cards by sue said...

Such a wonderful album. To be treasured. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Crafting with Friends. Sue DT xx

NanaConnie said...

Oh, Teresa, the butterfly finishes off the entire album perfectly! It's gorgeous. I'm so impressed with the entire project. :-D

Tammi Cremeans said...

Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Regards,

TTCRD DT

makememories4life {My Blog}

Through The Craft Room Door

ttcrd.blogspot.com

Wies said...

Great idea to make an album / sketchbook out of box board for your friend in hospital. A lovely personal gift.
Greetings, Wies

Chana said...

Hi, Teresa,
I love the paper you chose for your Journal! I never think of elastic bands when I am thinking of closures, but you have inspired me. I am working on a min album and my closure "sucks." I will give the elastic band a try.

Also, for decoupage, a household iron works just fine. I used the quilting iron when I need to get into small corners.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving luv!
Hugz,
Chana

Chi Cr said...

That looks great! What an awesome way to repurpose a box! Decorated so pretty! :)

Tina Campbell said...

Fantastic project and a wonderful gift to give to a friend in the hospital :) Thank you for joining us at Jo's this week for Funday Friday.
Tina DT

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Penny said...

Aren't you clever, though? :^) Love the bright cheerful cover you created! :^)
Hugs, Penny