Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Recycled Pizza Box

Hello Friends,

Today I have a tutorial for you to recycle a grocery store frozen pizza box into16 beautiful bookmarks/tags.
You will start by opening the box fully and cutting off the sides. 
Then you will trim each side to 11"x11". You will have two of these. I drew lines to indicate where I would eventually cut, but these will be painted over.
Each bookmark will be 5.5" x 2.75". You will get 8 pieces out of each side of the pizza box. If you prefer, you could use your pizza box to make an album or art journal. In that case, you would end up with four 5.5" square pages per sheet, for a total of 8 album pages. Not too shabby.
You will start by painting a layer of Gesso on your pizza box. I like to use a sponge brush because it goes on smoothly and covers a large area at a time.
Make sure to cover both sides (to prevent warping) of both sheets.











It doesn't really make sense to paint more than one layer of Gesso because you will still see the box cover through it. You just want the Gesso to give your sheet some tooth so your paint does not peel off. The picture below shows two layers of Gesso. The coverage is not much better than one coat.
I chose a cheap acrylic craft paint in a dark colour for my next layer. I left my sponge brush 'dirty' with the white Gesso to add some interest to my base coat.
Here is one side completed in the base coat. Notice the white mist from the Gesso left in my sponge brush.
For my next step I chose two contrasting colours of craft paint and some stamp-things. Sorry. I can't remember what they are called, but I got them at Michael's where the stencils are. They were all in one sheet and I cut them apart so I could use them individually.
I smoothed some paint on one of the -- I'll call them stamps for lack of a better word -- with a palette knife. If you want more definition and less splotch you could brush it on with a foam brush.
I 'stamped' evenly over my two painted sheets on one side in my first colour. Then I did the same with my other contrasting colour and a different 'stamp'. Once both sheets were dry, I repeated the process on the other sides of my pizza box sheets.









I am really blessed to have a nice guillotine cutter. It makes cutting my pieces super easy. If you don't have one, you can use a pencil and ruler to measure and mark your lines; then cut your pieces out with scissors. You will end up with 16 bookmarks, each measuring 5.5" x 2.75". You can achieve the tag shape by cutting one corner and using the cut piece as a template for the other side. Be sure to flip it over so the back side shows before you cut. (Sorry. I forgot to take a picture of this step.) Then punch a hole in the top center if you want to add a tassel.

Here are a couple of finished bookmark tags. The tag on the right is obviously from a different pizza box. My contrasting colours came from direct-to-paper inking. I applied the yellow ink to the base coat before and skimmed the brown ink on after embossing with a Tim Holtz wood grain folder. So that is another way to add texture and interest to your bookmarks.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Perhaps you even learned something new. If so, please let me know in the comments.

Have a blessed day!

Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

Challenges:
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Make it Colorful
Word Art Wednesday - anything family friendly goes
Through the Craft Room Door - anything goes
The Outlawz Paper a la Mode - anything goes
We Love to Create - anything mixed media
Mixed Media World - textures
That Craft Place - anything mixed media
Eclectic Ellapu - Pink: anything goes; Purple: stash item 6 months+ (craft paint)

18 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Teresa, you are just so creative and these bookmarks is such a wonderful way of upcycling any empty box for that matter. Adore the butterflies and threads with the beads on the bookmarks.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Dr Sonia S V said...

Always wonderful to see a bit of recycling in crafts
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Valerie-Jael said...

Great ideas - I think I will have to start eating pizza! Hugs, Valerie

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Super backgrounds and I really like the butterfly and lovely string/ribbon. It's so much fun to use what is at hand. I hope to see you at our 200th challenge. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday, in our 199th challenge.
Blessings and Hugs, Carole

debbie said...

that a cool idea... would never have thought to do this... thanks for the tutorial... and for sharing it with us on Paper ala Mode

Lin said...

Great recycling, Teresa, and very colorful results! Thanks for playing along with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Monica Taylor said...

Super idea. I love it when we can recycle!
Thanks for playing in our challenge!
♥ Monica
DT Member for Eclectic Ellapu!
My personal Blog - Taylormadecards4u

DebR said...

What a neat way to make bookmarks/tags! Thank you for showing how you made them. They look great!

Karon said...

Oh my goodness - these are so cool - great idea. Sorry I haven't been buy recently - been getting the girls ready for school etc. Now I can get back to my crafting ;-)

Patricia St Martin said...

Great ideas! Good way to use up a Pizza box, love how you did the background and the tags ended up wonderful.
Hugs, Pat♥

NanaConnie said...

You are so definitely my kind of crafter, Teresa! Waste not, want not, and recycling whatever you can instead of just filling the trash cans and dumps. Great book marks!

hoptownracer1 said...

Thank you! Your tags are awesome! Thank you for showing all of the steps to making them! :)

Penny said...

Very clever of you! Love how your tags turned out! Wonderful way to recycle! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Kay Dalton said...

fabulous up-cycling, love your tags ,thanks for joining us at That Craft Place hugs, kay

Angela Hoynes said...

Great ideas, love how you do these tags x

Sara Sherlock said...

Super fun and beautiful tags. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the next challenge.
Sara
TTCRD DT
FP3 {My Blog}

peabea said...

Super idea. Bookmarks are such a favorite with me so will most likely have to give this a try. Sparks the imagination. Thanks. :)

Diane said...

thanks so much for a great tutorial! I love reusing everyday trash!