Saturday, 11 October 2014

Close to the Broken-hearted

Hello Friends,

I heard about a challenge over at Art Journal Journey called, "Deep in the Forest" and decided to give it a go in my big art journal.

First I collaged my cheap scrapbook pages with papers and homemade Modge Podge to give them strength. Then I decided to do my painting on only one of my prepared pages. These pages are big and a two-page layout seemed a little daunting to me.

My first session of painting was yesterday. I put on inspirational music, squirted fall colours on my palette and literally finger-painted my background. What fun and how freeing. I wasn't concerned about making it look like much of anything; just getting colours down.

Tonight I discovered that I can paint something specific (following the theme of a challenge) and paint intuitively at the same time. Here is what I ended up with.
I was trying to paint a sunrise, but the top looks a little muddy to me.
The intuitive (Holy Spirit led) part of the painting was unplanned, other than I knew I wanted something in the center to represent God. I first noticed the face of a lamb so I defined it a little; not too much. I prefer to leave the spiritual elements in my paintings more suggested than clearly defined. As I touched up the lamb I noticed another face below it which looked like a lion. I defined that a little too. My husband had trouble seeing the 3rd image as it is less defined than the others. To me it looks like a woman weeping. That image is what suggested the theme of this painting to me. I finished the central scene off by painting a dove whose wings extend around the other images.
One of my favourite scriptures is Psalm 34:18 - The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and he saves those who are crushed in spirit. There are some dear people in our church who are in a dark forest time of their lives right now. They are being sheltered and comforted in the light and love of God even in the midst of their trials. This painting is about them and all those who weep.

Thank you for taking the time to visit me today.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges & Link-ups:
Art Journal Journey - Deep in the Forest
Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes, Mixed Media (collage, acrylics, marker)
Crafting Musketeers - Autumn Colours
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Paint Party Friday - Anything Painted

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another beautiful creation Teresa, love your dark forest with light in the centre. Hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen Susi said...

That's a wonderul painting - I really believe that you help all this people with painting such intuitive things whilst thinking of them...
yes - for sure!
GORGEOUS! Thank you so much Teresa for joining us at
ART JOURNAL JOURNEY!
A warm welcome to you!
♥♥♥
Susi

Desire Fourie said...

Amazing Teresa. You are just so artistic. I just adore the autumn trees and the psalm you encrypted on one of them. Just to let you know I used your gorgeous sentiment as an overlay on one of my rose photos I took in our little complex's garden. You can see it on my Facebook page. Thanks so much again for the gorgeous sentiment.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Giggles said...

Very deep and full of feeling!! Good job, very intuitive!

Hugs Giggles

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Teresa this is stunning!!!
Kevin xx

Sandie Gough said...

wow! the centre images are haunting...your colour tones are glorious, totally drawing you in xx Thank you for joining us over at http://craftingmusketeers.blogspot.co.uk/
Sandie (Crafting Muskateers DT)
http://fairytaledaydream.blogspot.com/

Annette G said...

Loving your wonderful painting Teresa.
Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

NanaConnie said...

Really incredible, Teresa! The trees are magnificent and truly give the feel of being in a forest. Wonderful creatures, especially the dove. :-D

jinxxxygirl said...

HOw lovely. i just love the trees. And do think you did it with finger painting.....:) Hugs! deb

linda badgley said...

a beautiful interpretation

sirkkis said...

Wonderful art pieces!

Karon said...

Beautiful! Love all the suttle creatures and I can see the weeping woman! TFS and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

sheila 77 said...

This is something special, mystical and so well painted. I love the lion and the enfolding dove.

Margik said...

Great art journal and magical scene. I love it. Mar x

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my...I am so blessed by your painting just now. It is beautiful. Just beautiful. This fills my eyes--which, as you know, is the greatest compliment I can give. ((hugs))

Penny said...

What a wonderful creation! So inspired and beautifully painted. You know I see all four images, but the dove also looks like an angel to me. :^) Love this, Teresa! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Teresa, The forest and sunrise are very defined. The first glance showed me the huge Angel and the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Of course on closer inspection I saw the other points of interest. Thank you for posting your beautiful art with us this week during our 153rd challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Carole Robb Bisson

Little Artbee said...

An amazing intuitive painting with a great charisma. I think it can give hope to people which are sad. Very well done. I like it.
Dear Greeetings
Sabine

Jo Ann said...

Such a great painting...Love the colors and the spiritual symbols I can see. We are blessed to have you join us at our last week's Word Art Wednesday Challenge. We hope you'll come back to visit us again. Leaving you with God's Word in James 1:12 which says, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." Hugs always!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

This is such an indepth project and so artistic.​Thank you for joining in with our challenge this month and hope to see you in future challenges.
Hugz and love Elaine aka Ellapu​

​Owner of
​Handcrafted by Ellapu
Altered Eclectics
Eclectic Ellapu
​DT for​
Anything but a Card

Fran said...

fab, I love it , thank you for joining us over at the Crafting Musketeers this month, Fran (DT) xxx

Tricia Michael said...

This is wonderful!

Anthony Paterson said...

very nice and haunting, thank you for playing along at carfting musketeers from Anthony Perry-Paterson DT.