Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Watercolour Hummingbird

Hello Peeps,

Recently I discovered the fabulous "Frugal Crafter" Lindsay Weirich. She does tons of craft tutorials, including painting with watercolours - a new endeavour for me. Yesterday I sat down with her "Let's Paint a Hummingbird" video and did my best to follow along.

I was not thrilled with my first attempt; it was passable at best. So I watched the video again. Pausing in spots, I drew, erased, drew, erased, until I had a reasonable facsimile of a hummingbird on my watercolour paper.

Watercolour paints are very different from acrylics. With acrylics you can keep layering until you get it right. Watercolours are not so forgiving. At least that is my impression of them. But I was determined to get this down. I did a total of four hummingbirds, but it wasn't until the last one that I felt a familiar connection to my painting. I'll try to explain, but first here are some pics.
All four paintings
My first attempt. I really had to work at this and it did not feel natural at all.
My 2nd hummingbird. I liked this better than the 1st, but it lacked life for me.
Painting #3. Poor fellow seems caught in a back draft.

Painting #4. I finally felt a connection - a spark of life in this one.
By my 4th painting I started to become braver and more spontaneous with my colours. I was less rigid about form and more intuitive, more connected to my painting. I felt life on this little bird, like I could almost feel him perching on my finger. I am very glad I persevered.

Here are four cards I made from these paintings.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you will pop over to Lindsay's blog and check out some of her videos. I think you will be glad that you did. In the meantime, is there something you have always wanted to do, but didn't think you could do it? Why not give it a few more tries? Determination can actually help you discover natural talents you didn't know you possessed.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges:
Path of Positivity - Determination
The Outlawz Greeting Challenge - Anything Goes (with Greeting)
Through the Purple Haze - Anything Goes
Crafting from the Heart - Anything Goes
My Craft Creations - Anything Goes
Paper Minutes - Buttons
Try it on Tuesday - How Does Your Garden Grow?

22 comments:

Sari said...

Beautiful images and sweet cards. I think I like the last one most, :D. Thank you for joining Crafting From the Heart, good luck.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love what you have made, good for you on not giving up! Lindsay is a great girl, that's for sure! Hugs, Valerie

fiona henderson said...

All i can say is Wonderful!!!

Fiona dT
TTPH

Penny said...

Wow, what a wonderful progression! I can see your improvement with each painting and absolutely love the last one! It is so dreamy-looking to me. :^)

You are such a brave soul! I am so not good with watercolors, lol! I have to stick with my Copics! ;^)

Have a great rest of the week!
Hugs, Penny

Sylvia Anderson said...

These are beautiful, Such talent.
Thank you for joining in our challenge (TTPH) Good luck x

Dr Sonia S V said...

I have jumped into the watercoloring wagon with you Teresa !! And you are encouraging me to be brave too!! Love the way you made different styles of background with the same image-- superb paintings!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Anne Milnes Howard said...

Oh I just love these little humming birds Teresa. I must have missed this post!
Love ~ Lady Anne xxx

Ellis said...

You did a great job on the paintings, the cards turned out really nice too! =)
Hugs, Elenor

fairysparkle said...

Teresa they are just lovely

Evil Edna said...

beautiful really captures the speed, thank you for joing us at TIOT.EE

Karon said...

All are beautiful but I think you nailed it on #4 - practice makes perfect :-)

Angela Hoynes said...

This is a lovely set of four paintings. I love the way you have done the birds colours and the flowers are so pretty.

Shoregirl said...

Wow -- you did better on your 1st attempt than I ever would, I'm sure! Looks like you're having fun trying new techniques!

Monica Taylor said...

Isn't it amazing what we can do when we put our mind to it. Love your projects! Thanks for sharing over at Path of Positivity. Monica, DT

Mrs.B said...

I think they are all wonderful paintings and the cards you made a gorgeous. It's always good to try something new.
Thanks for sharing at TioT
Avril

NanaConnie said...

OMGoodness, these are marvelous, Teresa! I think each one stands on its own and if you hadn't told us in what order they were done, there would have been no way to tell. I've been gone way too long and have lots to see on your blog. You've really been busy. :-D

Teresa McKitterick said...

wow, well done you. I love them all.Thanks for playing along with us at
Through The Purple Haze Challenges Hope to see you again next week
Hugs, Teresa DT
Ceesa's Card Creations

Pat said...

Wonderful water colors! I love the determination you put into stretching your creativity and determination to improve with every stroke of your brush! Life is a learning process, and if you don't step out of your comfort zone and try new things, you're not living. Thank you for playing in the Path of Positivity challenge this month. Good luck with your new passion!!

Anne Fenton said...

Teresa What a great job, You are a natural at watercolor, just beautiful. Thanks for joining TTCRD this week. Huggz

Svenja said...

Actually it should be two or more buttons ;) but your hummingbirds are so beautiful, thanks very much for showing it in our Paperminutes Challenge!

Desire Fourie said...

Teresa this is sure evidence of how determination can take you to greater heights. Just adore the beautiful scene with the humminbird. This is so perfect for our DETERMINATION theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Amazing paintings! I love how you stuck to it and were determined to get it just as you saw it in your mind! Thank you for sharing it with us on the Path of Positivity blog this month! Lynda - DT member