Friday, 26 September 2014

Listen

Hello Friends,

My goodness I am blessed with wonderful online friends. So many of you take the time to leave beautiful comments that are like darling rays of sunshine into my day. Today's post is called, "Listen" and I am going to be listening for some way to bless my faithful blog followers. That's right. I am going to very soon offer a blog candy and you get to help me choose what it will be. Just leave a comment, letting me know what you would like to receive if you win the candy.

Here are your choices:
1. An original mixed media painting
2. Die cuts, including some handmade ones
3. A selection of patterned papers
4. Crocheted flowers

Now for today's post:

I have another journal page, inspired by a poem. This layout completes my 2nd Art Journal. This was made with a mixture of paint, collage, stencils, texture paste and whatever was close by that I grabbed to use.

Stencil for face by Artist Cellar
I used a stencil for the face, added a neck and left the background as her skin tone. I used paint and pens on her eyes and lips. For her 'hair' I first laid tracing paper on top and traced the outline of her face. Then I glued cut-out clip art images around the outline. Next I cut out my collage in the shape of her hair and glued that down. Lastly, I added a few lines with a marker to intimate hair without covering the clip art images too much.

I put my poem, which inspired this page layout, on the right. The background for this journal (called a zine) was made all at once. I made a mistake, as evidenced by my upside-down flower. Don't ever apologize for your artistic mistakes. Think of them as opportunities to do your art differently than you had first planned. They may speak to someone in a way you could never have imagined.

I added some white hairs with a gel pen to denote the wisdom of a listening ear.
And here is my poem that inspired this page. My husband laughed when I first read it to him. I was gratified by his reaction because this poem is mostly me laughing at myself in the mirror. Of course there is a serious message here, but I think it is easier to effect change when you are forgiving of your imperfections. And it's also important to realize that God made me as I am. He loves my quirks as much as the things that I think make me strong.

Thanks for visiting me today. Don't forget to leave a comment to let me know what candy you would like me to offer.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

PS - I realized that it may be difficult to read my poem because of some glare on the photo, so here it is on its own. 

LISTEN

Set the timer, beep-beep rhymer
voices blaring, flat screen staring
message text, on FaceBook next
Pinterest Twitter, caffeine bitter
blogs a posting, event page hosting
read a book, learn to cook
celebrating, stimulating
meetings, concerts, benefits
no one ever simply sits
and listens

- Teresa Arsenault © 2014
 
Challenges & Link-ups:
Paint Party Friday
Crafty Girls - Anything Goes
The Outlawz Twisted Thursday - Anything Goes
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Artistic Inspirations - Anything Goes

18 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

They are both fantastic pages. I love the collaged girl with the colorful hair! makes me smile.

jenn shurkus said...

these art journal pages are fabulous!! Thank you for playing a long with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Felicia Aaron said...

Oh Teresa I LOVE IT!!! I agree with our husband!! As I was reading the poem I was doing a little rap dance! But I totally agree with it!! The colors are fabulous and I absolutely love the clipart hair! How creative! I love all that amazing color! Awesome! If I were to win blog candy, I would for sure want some gorgeous crocheted flowers! Especially if YOU did them! Thanks for the inspiring spread and opportunity to win! Blessings! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo wonderful, just adore it! And there are no mistakes in art! Hugs, Valerie

Faye said...

Teresa, as wonderful as your art work is today, I have to say that the poem simply wowed me totally. You are so clever. The rhythm/meter, etc. is perfect and of course the words are so true.

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Thank you for posting art with us this week during our 151st challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Sending you happy hugs, smiles full of sunshine, and many blessings as you work and play.

Carole Robb Bisson

McCrafty's Cards said...

Fabulous Teresa, the more I look at this the more I can see, love it!!
Kevin xx

Beth Niquette said...

Theresa, I love your artwork. You are such a wonderful inspiration! ((hugs))

Penny said...

Goodness, another fabulous creation! Love the colors and images you used for your portraiture! Stunning! And that poem is fun, but deeply moving at the same time! Wowzer!
As to a prize, I think one of your original pieces would be perfect! :^)
Hugs, Penny
Have a wonderful weekend!

Angela Hoynes said...

Teresa your art Journalling goes from strength to strength.
Amazing work my friend xx

Lady Anne Milnes Howard said...

Yet again another stunning journal page, love the poem and the words resonate so strongly within me as it is so very true. I have been saying these words in one for or another over many years. Your art is also beautiful with its show of today's living, where is the silence? Thank you so much Teresa for sharing your beauty with us all...
God Bless ~ Lady Anne xxx

P.S. Thank you for your lovely words you left on my blog, you are SMASHING :)

denthe said...

I love how you used the clipart images in her hair. Very creative. I would choose an original mixed media painting :-)

Giggles said...

Powerful important message and artwork!! Wonderful fun poem to get the point across too!! Love it ALL!!

Hugs Giggles

Wies said...

Great journal page and poem. Love the way you made the hair.
Wies

Karon said...

Fabulous double journal - love the wonderful poem and great inspiration! TFS and have a great day.

Margaret said...

Fabulous journal entry.Love your poem too

Margaret xx

Patricia St Martin said...

I enjoyed your journal you do have some crazy things but that is what makes it so special. The one thing that bothered me was how sad she is and her eyes and the thing you said you where looking at yourself. I loved the poem reminded me of a busy person. Great job with her hair all the wonderful colors. This is a powerful page and it shows a lot of emotions. I get it and it is beautiful.
Hugs, Pat

Pia S said...

Wow, what a fantastic piece of art! Love the poem! Love that you used the background as part if her skin and that great collage work for her hair!