Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Watercolor Tulip

Hello Friends,

Are you ever amazed by what you find when you start trying to reorganize a space? I came across those watercolor pencils I knew I had but couldn't find for so long I'd given up on them. So, of course, I thought I'd give them a try.

My first attempt was horrid (sorry, no pics) so I kept working at it with other medium - pencil crayons, alcohol markers, and finally some spray fabric glitter - until my watercolor tulip became a mixed media tulip. This experience taught me that watercolor paints are much less forgiving than acrylics. The point is, I did learn something, which is why it is necessary to make mistakes in something as intuitive as art. Note to self: Keep watching tutorials and practise, practise, practise.

I followed two challenges at The Outlawz for my card design: The Colour Challenge (twist-add leaf or tree) and The Sketch Challenge.

My patterned papers are by K & Co. My embellishments and the stencil I used for the lettering were gifts from my sweet friend Eleanor who was reorganizing her stash and sent me a big box of extras. The fabric applique bee was black & white. I coloured the white parts with my Y15 Copic marker. I just love the lace flower and aren't the palm tree sequins cute? Thanks Eleanor. :)

Here is my mixed media (aka watercolor) tulip. Can you guess what the trellis behind it is? I cut it from a plastic mesh bag that Eleanor had included in her box. I stretched it over my cardstock piece and taped it to the back. Then I glued (Aleen's Tacky glue) it to my card front, after tying a piece of red stretch cord at the top, another crafty bit from Eleanor.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you pop over to The Outlawz for some crafty inspiration.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges:
The Outlawz Color & Sketch Challenges
Crafty Girls Challenge - Anything Goes
Dream Valley Challenges - Flowers
My Craft Creations - Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes (optional twist)
The Paper Girls - Design your own challenge (Make a Card; Do Something Messy; Alter embellishment)
Through the Purple Haze - Anything goes
Come & Get It - Anything goes with a sentiment
Eclectic Ellapu - Purple Team: Anything with watercolor
Paper Crafting Challenges - Sequins (Palm trees are sequins)
Craft for the Craic - Craft item never used before (watercolor pencils)
Sister Act Card Challenge - Anything goes
Tuesday Throwdown Challenge - Anything goes




20 comments:

Wies said...

Hi Teresa, I recognise it, finding things when you reoganize. I like your card with the tulip very much.

Greetings, Wies

Jessica said...

I'm so glad that you kept with it, that tulip is fabulous! Thanks for sharing at the Paper Girls Challenge Blog.

Chana said...

Nice...very artsy! Thanks for dropping this off by our house here at 613 Avenue Create.
Hugz,
Chana, Owner

Sylvia Anderson said...

This is so pretty....
Such a shame that you're in more than 10 challenges.......
Sylvia DT (Through the Purple Haze)

fiona henderson said...

LOvely work and a super card unfortunately you have exceeded the 10 challenges allowed on our TTPH.. But never the less a beautiful card.

Fiona DT
TTPH

Liz Smith said...

How creative, using the bag. I love when I can find a way to use something for my crafts that I would've otherwise thrown away. Its so satisfying. I think your tulip turned out great! Thanks for joining us at Come and Get It and I hope to see you back next week. ~Lizzy DT

Sue said...

Gorgeous card..thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card Challenge..Sue DT x

JoanieMc said...

Cute card! Love the added bee with the tulip. Thanks for joining Through the Purple Haze Challenge.

Hugs
Joanie DT

SoniaW said...

What a pretty card. Love the fact you persevered with the tulip. It looks fab. Thanks for joining us at crafting from the heart x

Penny said...

Really pretty mixed-media piece, Teresa! Love the warm color palette! Really love that tulip! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Stamping Steph said...

Such a pretty summery card!
-Steph's Stamping Studio

Sarah said...

Great card! I've used the plastic mesh a couple of times, too! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown this week!!

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us over at Eclectic Ellapu this month - hope to see you in future challenges x

Lucy said...

Well it may not be the watercolour you were intending, but the mixed media result is wonderful :D

Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges.

Lucy DT x

Eithne said...

Beautiful card! Love the colours, and well done for persevering, it paid off :) Thank you for joining us over at Eclectic Ellapu :)
Eithne DT
www.cardroomdelights.blogspot.ie

Angela Hoynes said...

Love your colours, everything goes together so well.

Emily Thubbron said...

Theresa, this is a fantastic card. I love the design and your watercolor tulip is fantastic. Thank you for sharing it with us at Tuesday Throwdown.

Emily T.
DT Member

Carla Harkies said...

Love all the bright summer colours, sweet card. Thanx for joining us at TTPH Challenges.

Carla DT

wienerhoneymooners said...

Wonderful!!! Lovely and brightly colored!! Thanks for joining Paper Crafting Challenges!
Keep a look out the next challenge is a DT call!

Pillan said...

Nice card! Thanks for joining us at Dream Valley Challenges.
/Pillan