Thursday, 28 August 2014

No Fear in Art - Part Four

Hello Friends,

First off, I want to say a very big thank you to everyone who has been following and commenting on all of my posts, but especially this "No Fear in Art" series. Some of you have expressed appreciation of my showing you my process, including my mistakes. If I have encouraged anyone to dig deeper to find the artist within, or just to try something new, I am very satisfied.

Today I finally finished this piece, but I will show it in two separate posts since there are a lot of pics. After my last post I realized that my horse's mane covered its front wing, making it appear that both wings protruded from its left side. Here is the pic again.

So the first thing I did when I started on this again was try to redefine the wing on the ride side of the horse.
That was a little better, but now I had to redefine the mane. That was not so easily done. It kept getting lost in the painting and I really wanted some texture. I tried drawing and cutting out a mane, but it looked horrible. I didn't get a pic of that mess because my fingers were too goopy to handle the camera. Consider yourself spared. (Remember I am a beginner here and just fumbling along, trying to find my way.)
So I tore off the mess I had made and I got out my Spackle. Palette knife in hand, I started drawing on a mane. This Spackle goes on pink and dries white, at least almost white.
One good thing came out of my paper piecing adventure. It inspired me to cut out a new horn since I was not satisfied with the original. It was too short and did not stand out at all. I coloured it with silver and white gel pens and glued it over the original painted horn. Ah, much better. :)
The Spackle had to dry overnight before I could do anything else so this seems like a good place to end this post. I will be back soon with Part Five and the final painting, which is actually an art journal page. Yeah I know; art journal pages are supposed to be quickly slapped together, but that's just not how I roll. I love working out the little details and that takes time. At least for me it does.

Doing art is a fairly recent development for me. I would never have considered that I had any artistic ability at all. In fact, I was in my 50s before I ever picked up a paintbrush. Actually, I didn't pick it up. It was put into my hand by a dear friend and talented artist, Lucie Bellemare. This series is dedicated to her as the quote: "There is no fear in art." came from her lips to my ears several years ago. It inspires and encourages me still.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa




1 comment:

Penny said...

This is such fun to see how your mind works! Love that you decided to change your horse in the middle of the design! (Is that the perfectionist in you?) I like the new wing placement, the fab new horn, and am anxious to see the new mane in white! You go Girl! :^)
Hugs, Penny