Friday, 29 August 2014

No Fear in Art - Part Five

Hello Friends,

Yesterday I left you with a pink-maned unicorn - the color of the Spackle I used to create a dimensional mane. Here it is after drying overnight. I also added more 'foam' to the waves.
Have I mentioned before that this painting is inspired by a poem I wrote in my journal some time ago? I printed it out with the intention of making it part of this mixed media page. Well, when I pulled it out again yesterday I realized some of the details of my painting were wrong. My horse had silver hooves and the poem says, "shining like molten gold". Gold gel pen to the rescue.
The poem also says, "His eyes, burning like sapphires of love". Sapphires? Oops. I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if blue glitter glue would work? If not, it would be easy enough to wipe off. No Fear in Art, right? (The pic is a little blurry, but you can see the blue.)

Next, it was time to add some white paint to his Spackled mane. I added a little gold gel pen to his horn as well.
My final step was to cut out each line of my poem, create a pleasing layout and then start decoupaging it down. Once I had done that, I had my husband and son each take a look to see if they would be able to figure out the order in which to read the verses. There was some confusion so I numbered each verse.
And here is the final mixed media page. I am pretty satisfied with it, though I wish I had left the tail off in my original tracing. It looks rather static in comparison with the mane. I think I would have liked it better if I'd done it free-form. I would also have used slightly less pure white in the back end to make the horse look more forward facing. I think it is good that I am aware of my mistakes, but not held back by them. Mistakes are part of the artistic process. That is how I learn.
Thank you for coming along on this artistic journey with me. I hope I have inspired you to make your own creative mistakes and rejoice in the successes that come out of them.

(A note to my Tales of Ellmoria fans: You might be interested to know that the horse in this painting represents a key character in the books, named Philtor. I am still working through the revisions of Book One and plan to begin Book Two this November. Hopefully, I will start getting these babies published before another year goes by. Thank you for your patience.)

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges:
Paint Party Friday
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes; inspirational
Miriam's Crafting Blog - Fantasy
Southern Girls - Texture
CRAFT Challenge - Animal
Crafty Girls - Anything Goes
Through the Purple Haze - Anything Goes
Simon Says Wednesday - Anything Goes
Art Journal Everyday - Art journal page
The Outlawz Twisted Thursday - Anything Goes

23 comments:

Anne Milnes Howard said...

I love what you wrote Teresa that you have learnt from your mistakes but NOT held back by them, brilliant and I'm so happy for you. I love what you have done and the process which I have been following. You are an inspiration to me the scaredy cat but I'm getting there and have started playing around putting colour down, so thank you...
Love ~ Lady Anne xxx

McCrafty's Cards said...

There is only one word for this Teresa, STUNNING!!! I love this
Kevin xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Absolutely stunning! Valerie

NanaConnie said...

I was rather tickled with yesterday's pink mane, Teresa, since it lent a fantasy element to this marvelous creation! The finished piece is marvelous. I love the shading and highlighting. The background is perfect and the ocean waves are so realistic. I love the praises you've added. Such strength!

Angela Hoynes said...

Simple awesome Teresa! My wanting to "get it right" holds me back sometimes, but you push through it with fabulous results. Well done xx

fiona henderson said...

WOW how amazing....its just wonderful.

Fiona DT
TTPH

Karen Letchworth said...

You've really done an amazing job on this, and you can tell you really put some work into it. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing with us. Have a blessed week, and please stop by to share again soon. I look forward to it!
God bless you,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Darcy Schroeder said...

Really pretty!! Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple haze Challenges!! It's a great project, Teresa!!
Hugs
Darcy

Penny said...

Well, this was certainly worth the wait! Turned out so fabulous, Teresa! I love it! Wonderful that you could change the hooves and eyes to match your poem! The whole page looks spectacular--you should be very proud of yourself! :^)
And looking forward to those books, too! :^)
Have a great weekend!
Hugs, Penny

Carole Robb Bisson said...

This art is delightful. Thank you for dropping by. Happy hugs and sweet smiles from Carole at Word Art Wednesday.

Heather said...

A stunning creation Teresa, your mixed medium is awesome and your unicorn is beautiful - I love your golden highlights on the mane and hooves!!!

Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Basslady said...

this is so adorable!

thanks so much for playing along with us at CRAFT-Challenge!

Hugs and kisses from germany, silvi xoxo

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

Truly a stunning piece of art with wonderful poetry.
Nicole/Beadwright

Studio Kaufmann said...

Your unicorn is so gorgeous and full of life. I love the textural quality of his mane. Happy PPF

JoanieMc said...

WOW!!! Very beautiful! Love the color combo used.
Thanks for joining Through the Purple Haze Challenge!

Hugs
Joanie DT

My name is Erika. said...

Very nice. I love the gold hooves. The unicorn looks almost photographic.

bellefrogworks said...

I think it's a beautiful piece and there are no mistakes in art - just learning experiences! I love the pop of color the hooves and those sapphire eyes give the painting.

Lucy said...

Wow oh Wow!!! This is amazing! I love the texture you've created and the lines of the poem spread round is amazing. I also really love how you've used gel and glitter pens to adapt areas to match the poem! Great thinking.

Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges.

Lucy DT x

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Teresa, this is just an amazing piece of art. You are so talented. Just adore his mane.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Carla Harkies said...

I love all the texture and what great ideas you had for this project. Fantastic job. Thanx for joining us at TTPH challenges.

Carla DT

Erin Bentley said...

Hi, A stunning project, love the image and the pretty colours. Thank you for joining Crafty Girls this fortnight. Good luck and we hope to see you again soon.
Hugs Erin DT and Co Owner x

Karon said...

This is stunning Teresa - I loved the process and wow what a finish! Looking forward to reading the books once they are published!!!

Karen Oliver said...

I have to agree "stunning" a real work of art. Thanks for joint us at Southern Girls