Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Poem made into a Gift

Hello Friends,

A while back I was praying for a family in our church. This family can always be found behind the scenes somewhere helping and serving, whether in the church or for individuals and families in our community. I started talking to God about these people and how precious they are. Then I was taken into a daydream, as though I was seeing God's perspective on this family. The following poem came as a result of that.

I wanted to share my poem at our writers group last night and then present it to my friend, who is the female head of this wonderful family. I knew just how to make it extra special for her because a cool thing happened when I centered the poem on the page. It looked like a female form. Here is what I did.
Would you like to see my steps? I will show them in pictorial form, including my mistakes. I like to show them because mistakes are often opportunities to do a thing differently.

Printed poem.
Graph paper over page; fold












Drew half dress form around words

Cut out dress template; folded








Drew dress onto folded cardstock




folded cardstock in half












Drew dress over poem
Cut inside lines











Cut at dashes


Drew straight dashes at waist






Decided to draw on back instead

Started to draw bodice on front







Glued ribbon on back, leaving 3" tails


Glued ribbon to front, leaving 3" tails












Inked edges and adhered poem


Tied ribbon at sides; double knots











Made edging layers & positioned
Drew skirt lines on back and cut






Adhered layered edgings
Oops! Did you catch that?

Embellishments to the rescue
Perfect camouflage









More embellishments
Lovely cinched waist. Those were the days!









And again, here is the finished product, full view.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I am blessed to have so many crafty online friends. You inspire me with your projects and your own styles of creativity. I hope I have inspire you a little too.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges Entered:
All Crafts Challenge - Anything but a card
Artistic Inspirations - Anything Goes
Crafting from the Heart - Always Anything Goes
My Craft Creations - Anything Goes
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Make Something from scratch (poem, dress template)
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Inspirational
Through The Craft Room Door - Always Anything Goes

9 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Teresa this is such a wonderful idea and thanks for the sharing the how too.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Great poem, card and tutorial. We appreciate seeing this inspirational and wonderful card you’ve posted . Thank you and I hope you’ll come back really soon! Blessings,
Carole Robb Bisson
Word Art Wednesday

Sandra said...

What a fun card! love the dress and the step by step to make it! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Penny said...

My goodness, Teresa, that poem is so elegant--beautifully written! :^)
And your design is truly inspired! Love it--and love how you creatively "fixed" a boo-boo, lol! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Anne Milnes Howard said...

Yet again you have shown me another side of your inspiration Teresa, you are such a wonderful lady so willing giving of yourself to others. I appreciate it very much.
Love and big hug ~ Lady Anne xxx

NanaConnie said...

How creative, Tersa! You have such a good eye for spotting things like the dress shape. Love the embellishment quick fix. This is a spectacular project. Hugs

Shoregirl said...

What a lovely way to present your poem!

Deborah Adams said...

Oh My Gosh, I loved your poem! I got chills as I was reading the ending. :D It totally moved me, just a wonderful feeling. :D Thank you.
Now on to your beautiful dress. Love the bright cheery colors you used and the lacy scallop border punch you used really adds a sweetness to the dress. Your friend is going to love it!
Thank you for sharing and joining us at All Crafts Challenge.
Deborah DT

theresa dickinson said...

wonderful template shape and very creative, thanks for sharing over on artistic inspirations x