Saturday, 12 July 2014

No Fear in Art

An artist friend once told me, "There is no fear in art." It is a refrain I have chanted to myself often these last few days.

It all started with a poem I re-discovered when clearing up my e-mail folders

Here are the first few lines:

"Behold he comes
Riding the waves like white horses,
He comes!"

I wanted to paint this and add the poem with it into an art page. As I searched through images I thought I would really like to paint an image of my key (novel series in progress) character - a white, winged unicorn named Philtor. Yeah right. "There is no fear in art; there is no fear in art," I chanted.

I found an image I thought would work, blew it up and traced the outlines (via carbon paper) onto the first page of my new art journal.

Then I added a thin layer of gesso, very watery. My cheap manilla page was not happy.




I decided to trace the horse onto water color paper and add it to the page after.
To give my paper strength and texture I decoupaged with tissue paper and added a generous layer of gesso (not watered down).




Before painting my background I penciled on my horizon line with a ruler.



I used Gelatos for my background, starting with blue for the sky, which I blended with a wipe.


 






I mixed red and gold for my sand; then blue and green for my horizon line of the sea. I used a ceramic tile for my palette and mixed the pigments with my fingers.


Soon I was mixing and painting with my fingers, moving to my I-Tunes music. Here is my completed background, at least for now. I may have to change it a bit more later. This was the first time I really started to get into the groove of using my Gelatos.

 Thanks for stopping by. I will have another post soon of this work-in-progress. For now, I will leave you with the words of my artist friend.

"THERE IS NO FEAR IN ART." 
- Lucie Bellemare
Blessing hugs,
Teresa

7 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Awesome to see the start of an awesome piece of art created with no fear.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Valerie-Jael said...

Realy beautiful, thanks for showing how you did this! Valerie

NanaConnie said...

Oh, Teresa, I'm so looking forward to seeing the entire process! This is going to be fantastic; I can feel it. :-D I do have to warn you, in case you haven't worked a lot with gelatos -- they can be addictive! lol

Dr Sonia S V said...

Teresa...you are so right about not letting fear undermine art!! Love your creativity. And Thank you so much for your encouraging comment on my Swinging Card tutorial

Lisa Isabella Russo said...

I love the texture. Very exciting piece, I love horses!

Penny said...

I am really impressed with your efforts here! Not everything works the first time, but good for you for starting over! I look forward to seeing your finished piece--I know it will be beautiful! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Angela Hoynes said...

Carbon paper! What a good idea! I love this work in progress xx