Tuesday, 15 July 2014

No Fear in Art - Part Two

Hello Friends,

If you saw my original post - "No Fear in Art" - you know that particular phrase comes from my artistic mentor, Lucie Bellemare. Whenever I am afraid to attempt something new I repeat those words to myself. I remind myself that my art is in a state of process. It is an expression of myself and my skills at this time. It is part of my artistic journey of discovery and the journey is mine to enjoy. And if that doesn't erase the fear, I do it scared.

Under-painting of horse
Once I traced the outline of the horse I did an under-painting. This is kind of tricky because the original sketch is of a black horse and I want to make mine white.

Then I decided that I want the head to face forward a bit; not in profile like in the sketch. I chose another clipped picture and blew it up so I could trace it onto my horse's body.

I painted over my horse's head with gesso.
Mistakes 1 & 2
My first mistake was in trying to line up and trace the new head onto the body. I decided to trace it separately and then paste it on afterward. My 2nd mistake was that I traced on too much detail.

I traced another head with minimum detail.
Attempting to highlight some areas on the body.
The original sketch I used was not very detailed so I highlighted with gesso some areas that I thought should stand out. I wish I could have used a photo, but Prince Edward Island is a little short on real winged horses at the moment.

At this point, my artist friends are probably shaking their heads or laughing them off. But that's okay. This is my journey. If I stumble and falter along the way, but don't give up, I will gradually improve and learn from my mistakes.

Thank you for taking this journey with me today. If I have inspired you, I would love to hear about it. If you have suggestions to help me in my artistic journey, I would dearly love to learn from you.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

8 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

Teresa I am a perfectionist by nature and that is often a hinderance for me in art and so I Especially love your " no fear in art" series!!
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects

Jackie Scott said...

Keep at it Teresa - can't wait to see the final version.
You have much more talent than I, I would not even attempt this!

Penny said...

You are trying things I have never even imagined doing! :^) It will be such fun to see the finished product! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Anne Milnes Howard said...

I am so enjoying your journey through art, it is such a pleasure to see how you are progressing and how in so many ways you embrace the fear which helps you to move on. Please continue to journey on and I will continue to watch with great interest :)
Love and big hugs ~ Anne xxx

Desire Fourie said...

Teresa this is so fun and interesting following your creative journey on this.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

NanaConnie said...

You've inspired me with that marvelous phrase, "...I do it scared." I've written that down and posted it above my crafting table. You are so far beyond anything I'm able to do in painting but I am working on developing some new coloring skills with alcohol markers. I'll be sharing some of those, hopefully the end of this month or in August, time and practice allowing. I'm not brave enough yet to share the process or the mistakes. :-D Thanks for the confidence boost and inspiration.

Karon said...

This is great and I love that you are showing us the process!

Angela Hoynes said...

Love this Teresa. Where did you get the original picture from?