Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Library Pocket Tutorial

Hello Friends,

Yesterday I invited you to share in my new adventure into art journaling. The old library book I am using had a pocket in the front to store 'due back' cards. I removed and dissected the pocket so I could create my own. Here is the tutorial for making your own library pockets.
The two versions of the library pocket. The one on the left is most like the original that came with my book. These would look nice using double-sided paper.

The first one I made was the same dimensions as the original. I wanted a taller back so I added a half-inch to the length. I will give you instructions for both.

1. Start with a 4 1/2 inch x 9 1/2 inch piece of paper. (4 1/2 x 9 for shorter version)
2. With the short edge at the top of your score board, score 1/2 inch on each long side.
3. Turn the paper so the long edge is at the top of your score board. Score at 1/2 inch and 4 1/4 inch.
4. Along the 4 1/4 inch fold line, cut just to the 1/2 inch fold line on each side.
5. Starting at the short end opposite to your 1/2 inch fold, cut the long 1/2 inch fold line up to the 4 1/4 inch fold line. Do this on both sides. Discard those pieces.
6. Round all corners. You will have to fold your paper at the 4 1/4 inch line to get your corner rounder in place.

I realize that I should have taken more pictures. This is what your finished piece will look like. The long edge is 5 1/4 inches by 3 1/2 inches. (If you used the shorter version it will be 4 3/4 inches by 3 1/2 inches) The shorter part is 4 1/2 inches by 4 1/4 inches, including the 1/2 inch fold.

Fold and glue down 1/2 inch flap
Fold at 4 1/4 inch fold line
Fold 1/2 inch side flaps to back and glue down. The back flaps will not be seen since you will glue the back of this pocket to your page or project.
This is my shorter pocket. I distressed it by crunching and inking it. It is the same dimensions as the original library pocket that was in my old book.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you found this tutorial clear and useful.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

4 comments:

NanaConnie said...

Wonderful tutorial, Teresa. I can see uses for these on cards, too, with smaller dimensions, of course. They'd be perfect for holding tags! :-D

Karon said...

Great tutorial and great for adding to those pages! TFS

Desire Fourie said...

A wonderful transformation Teresa and I love the design paper.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Penny said...

Very clever, and thank you for sharing! :^)
Hugs, Penny