Sunday, 30 March 2014

Colorful Wings

Hello Friends,

Today I would like to share a tender, sacred moment with you; a moment I experienced about one week ago.

For most of my life I suffered with an inferiority complex; always feeling less than others. It has gradually gotten better over the years and especially over the last several months. But I still have to make a conscious choice to 'talk back' to the inner voice that sometimes still tries to convince me that I am not good enough. Much of my 'back talk' comes from God's love letter to me - the bible - but sometimes I need to hear it from him on a more personal level.

Last week I was remembering a time when I was nine years old. I was in a big tent meeting, the smell of canvas and sawdust mingling with the sounds of the band playing, "He Touched Me". Tears streamed down my cheeks as I felt the gentle Presence of God enveloping me.

I searched my Ipad and found the song online, by Bill & Gloria Gaither. I listened to it and sang along, tears choking out most of the song. How beautiful, how lovely His Presence was, alone in my room.

Next I listened to "His Eye is on the Sparrow" sung by Whitney Houston. The tears continued to flow. I felt so alive in His love. Then, for just a moment, my mind's eye saw the wing of a colorful bird. At the same moment I sensed the Lord was saying that I have been given very colorful wings.

Yesterday, I had the house to myself so I got out my art journal, determined to paint the vision. I turned on some worship music and spent the next few hours painting, praying and singing. Here is the result; at least the result on paper. The true result is in the treasure of peace in my heart and the absolute absence of any sense of inferiority.

A dictionary will tell you that the opposite of inferiority is superiority, but I believe those attitudes have the same root. The opposite of inferiority, IMHO, is the knowing that every human being, including me, has been created as a gift to humanity and to God. Every life is meant to be beautiful. Every life is meant to love and to be loved. Every person is meant to have wings; beautiful, colorful wings. May you discover your wings today.

Be blessed,
Teresa

The eyes are clipped from a magazine, as are the words.


Challenges:
Paint Party Friday - Linky Party
My Sheri Crafts - Anything But a Card
Word Play Saturday - Anything
Word Art Wednesday - anything goes

10 comments:

Jackie Scott said...

You certainly captured your vision of wings. The are beautiful with all the glorious colours. And how wonderful that you found some eyes that finish it off perfectly! You should be proud and always feel good about yourself and what you do!

Karon said...

What a wonderful post Teresa. Brought tears rolling for me today, as a friend got her angel wings on Friday night and your colourful wings just makes me think she is going to look so pretty. I know it is your wings you were referring too and now they shine brighter than ever, with this fabulous page. Just had to share how it affected me. Thanks for sharing.

Lady Anne said...

Hello Teresa, the wings you have painted are but a small reminder of your experience as no matter how hard you tried you could not paint the beauty which is your spirit, I see it through your painting as I see the words and how you felt, the joy of being within the spirit of all things which is a part of you always yet you didn't know till that moment what was within you as we are all a part of God as God is a big part of us, we live through God. I am so happy that you have experienced that most precious time in the light of God and your spirit as you joined together. Oh it is so hard to put into mere words. May you always walk in the light of love...
Lady Anne xx

Dia said...

Such a wonderful Post5, and what a Lôvélÿ page!! It is so true that as we stand in our own power, we more easily empower others!!
I do sign language interpretation of the sings at our precious church, and adoptee signing the uplifting sings!
Blessings, DéâR one!! how Lôvélÿ your drawing brought Karon peace!

Golda said...

Your art is so very beautiful, Teresa. Your soul is even more so. Thank you for sharing your moment and memories with us.

NanaConnie said...

Utterly magnificent, Teresa -- both your art and your story. Thank you so much for sharing that. It truly moved me. Hugs

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing your story. God is so good! Your painting is great! Thanks for joining our "Anything but a card celebrating
Easter" challenge at My Sheri Crafts!

Jo Ann said...

What a great use and blend of bright colors. Your page is perfect! Thank you for blessing us with your artwork this week at Word Art Wednesday. Would love to see you join us again in our next Challenge. Leaving you with a blessing from God's Word in Joshua 1:9- "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Hugs always!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Penny said...

Gosh those wings are fantastic! Really showing your talent, Teresa! And you should never feel inferior--you are a beautiful, creative soul! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Angela Hoynes said...

Fabulous Teresa. Also great idea on the fridge frame in your comment to me!