Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Adventures in Art Journaling - Part Three

Hello Friends,

I am so glad to be sharing my art journaling adventure with you. There is one page that I wasn't sure if I should share with you because of its personal nature. It is about a very difficult time in my life and family; several years of intense stress, with sorrow upon sorrow. It was during that time that I almost questioned the very existence of God, or at least of his goodness towards me.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the book I am using for my art journal had many lovely photos. Some of the photos brought the people and events of those hard times strongly to my mind. I cut and tore the edges of the pictures and started writing random words and phrases around them. I pasted them into my art journal, adding a few sentences and paragraphs here and there. I named this page layout, "The Dark Years".

Just when hope tried to rise up, another sorrow would dash it down again.



Some parts I have kept private because they involve other people. I decided to share some of my story with you in hopes that it may help you. I was never able to journal before now about that time in my life. Art Journaling freed me to do that and it was not the emotionally draining experience I know journaling in written detail would have been for me.

I used to think I was strong. I didn't understand how a person could be overwhelmed by anxiety and depression. Now I know how very weak I am and I praise God for it. I now see the value in weakness. Like the Apostle Paul, I rejoice in my weakness because it makes me rely more fully on God. It also has given me understanding and compassion for those who, like me, are weak. They are a treasure to be cherished for great treasure is found in brokenness.

I began adding words of hope to my otherwise dark journal page.


King David knew the reality of depression and anxiety. He knew about stress and sorrow. But he also knew that, if he would just put his hope in God, on the other side of sorrow would always be joy.

Today I walk in joy. Not everything that was lost during those dark years has been restored. But I like myself better, accept my limitations with more grace and know more fully that Jesus loves me and that God is good.

Thank you for taking this very personal walk with me in this journal page. I cherish each one of you that reads this and I hope it has brought some light to any darkness in your life today.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

4 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Teresa this is just so special and your beautiful art journal will be like therapy in itself to you, to work through difficult and happy times.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Angela Hoynes said...

I haven't written directly on the page yet, I feel a bit inhibited for some reason.

Karon said...

Beautiful post, and inspirational journal page. Thank you for sharing, and glad that it has helped you in some way! Hugs, Karon.

Lady Anne said...

I love what you are doing and as Desire has said it is a kind of therapy and that is why I'm struggling to really get going as I have so much to express which is very painful but I do need to express it!! Thank you Teresa for sharing this with me today...
Much love dear friend ~ Lady Anne xxx