Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Adventures in Art Journaling - Part One

Hello Peeps,

Have you heard all the buzz about art journaling? Perhaps you have been keeping an art journal for years. I got my start just last week and I'm loving it. Krystal Norton has been a great help with her free online course.

Today I will just show you my cover page. I used an old library book called, "Victoria's Heyday". (If there are any library police out there, let me assure you that I obtained my copy legitimately at a library book sale.)

To use an old book as an art journal you first need to tear out at least half of the pages because it will expand. You also need to make sure your binding is sewn in and not just glued. All of this is in the easy online course that Krystal offers. And remember it is absolutely free.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking a shot of my book before I began to alter it. Sorry about that. It did contain a lot of beautiful Victorian photos and artwork, which I saved to use in my art journal. Fantastic inspiration.

Now I will stop talking and simply show you some pics of my first art journal's cover.
Paint, stickers, embellishments, paper - FUN

Fabric ribbon and washi tape for my spine

Negative from Butterfly sticker

A few random stamps

Thanks for stopping by. I will have a few more posts about my art journal and how it has enriched my life.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

Challenges Entered:
Make It Monday - Anything Goes (Final Challenge)
Through the Craft Room Door - Anything Goes
613 Avenue Create - Anything Goes (Optional Twist)
All Crafts Challenge - Anything But a Card
Artistic Inspirations - Anything Goes (Optional Twist)
The Cheerful Stamp Pad - Anything Goes
Crafty Card Makers - Anything Goes Mixed Media
Love to Create - Anything Goes
My Craft Creations - Anything Goes
Vintage Stamping Challenge - Just For You (make something for yourself)



 

15 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow what a stunning journal cover with an awesome mixed media feel. Looking forward to seeing some journal pages xxx
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Lady Anne said...

Oh Teresa, I too have done the course but haven't got where you have got but I have to say it is a fabulous course, I just haven't had the time to play. I made a book up using some of my calligraphy paper, I have made it soft so it is is easy to hold but I have to finish decorating it, I will show it to you when I have finished the cover, I did do some bits inside to take away the blank page looks :) I just love your cover it is so beautiful like everything you do, full of expression and you have encouraged me to do my cover now :) so thank you for the inspiration...
Love ~ Lady Anne xxx

PetraB said...

This is gorgeous with so many wonderful details! Thank you for playing along with the Cheerful Stamp Pad.

Karon said...

Fabulous front cover! Love all the elements! TFS

Deborah Adams said...

What a great cover you created for your art journal. I like how you did a mixed media on it. :D
Thanks for joining us at All Crafts Challenge.
Deborah ACC DT

Lin said...

Well done on taking the plunge! Thank you so much for sharing your first ever cover with us, it's gorgeous.

Lin
Crafty Cardmakers and More

Hazel said...

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous art journal cover for Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge 81: anything goes , Hazel, DT - hope to see you again soon x

Angela Hoynes said...

Brilliant! SO glad to have you travelling the road with me!

Suze Bain said...

Well done on taking the plunge to try a new form of artwork. Your journal cover looks fab! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More. Xx

Meggymay said...

Good for you for begining your journal. The cover looks fantastic.
Thank you for joining us at CCM&M this time.
Yvonne

maureenjscott said...

I love the idea of using an old book to begin your journal! I too about to dabbling in Art Journalling! I shall have a wander round your blog and see where you are with it, I look forward to seeing how it develops! I love your cover! Thank you for joining us at Love to Create Challenge this week! Mo xxx
Why not link up at the Anything Goes challenge at Left of Center this month for a chance to lots of prizes from some amazing sponsors! http://leftofcenterchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/p/loc-1st-anniversary-challenge-starting.html

Penny said...

Beautiful collage on this cover, Teresa! Love all the elements you combined! Great textures, patterns, and colors! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Carol said...

Lovely Journal cover. Thanks for joining us at 613 Ave Create.

theresa dickinson said...

wow loads going on, thanks for joining us over on artistic inspirations x

sparklingblackrose said...

This is gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at my All Crafts Challenge, I hope to see you joining in again for our new challenge :-) Elaine DT-xxx-