Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Mixed Media Collage on Canvas

I have been seeing some gorgeous mixed media collages around the web, especially on Pinterest. To be honest, I found them rather intimidating and didn't think I could do one. But today I decided to look up a few video tutorials to get an idea of how to do one. Wow. Did I get some great inspiration. I got the impression that the secret is in the layering of elements, so I started by choosing my elements.

I knew I wanted my focal image to be a sketch I did of an eye a few weeks ago. Then I chose some patterned papers and a page from a book about saints. I had a hard time ripping a page out of a book, let me tell you, but I felt a little better that the book was not in good condition to begin with. I chose a few bits of tissue paper and some stamps. I wanted to use texture paste in my project so I could enter it in this Monday's challenge at Simon Says Stamp. I used die cut negatives for my texture paste pieces. I selected a few paints, embellishments, embossing powders, seed beads and my homemade mod-podge (half white glue, half water). I covered my work service and had me some good, crafty fun for the next 3 hours.

Here is the result.
The first thing was to add random shots of paint to the sides of the canvas.
View from above.
Printed sentiment on oval die cut. Seed beads sprinkled on wooden flourish.
Focal point - the eye that I drew and colored with Copics.
Stamped sentiment and rose rick-rack trim.
Printed sentiment, tore and inked edges. Another stamped sentiment.
One of the branches made with texture paste and a die cut negative. Stamped butterfly.
More texture paste branches, treated with embossing powders, paints, and a brown marker to add definition.
 Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope this inspires you to try something crafty that you have never done before. You might find, like I did, a new favorite way to craft.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

PS - The canvas I used already had a painting on it that did not turn out to my satisfaction. It was of a doorway to a heavenly realm, but it looked pretty cheesy. I splashed paint randomly over it, not covering it completely, so the essence of the original is still there. "The eye is the window (or doorway) to the soul."

Challenges Entered:
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Use Paste to create texture
Love to Create - Anything Goes
MarkerPop Challenge - Anything Goes (Copics used on Eye sketch)
Sparkle & Sprinkle - Anything Goes with Glitter, Embossing powder, etc.)
Through the Purple Haze - Pencil drawing or coloring (eye was pencil drawn)
Paint Party Friday - Anything Goes (paint)
The Outlawz Saturday Challenge - Flowers
Make It Monday - Always Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes (inspirational)

37 comments:

fiona henderson said...

Absolutely fantastic...its definately a wow!!!!

fiona DT
TTPH

bernikula said...

It's can be very inspures. Deautiful!

Shona Erlenborn said...

This is a gorgeous creation, especially for a first try! So many wonderful details in your embellishments and your hand-drawn eye is spectacular. Thanks for joining us over at the Creative Challenge of Sparkle N Sprinkle.

Lady Anne said...

Oh Teresa, it is fabulous, I love how you have used the eye in the centre it looks really effective. I loved making one when I did it and keep saying I should do another now I think I will :) Thank you for your inspiration and for sharing what you create, I appreciate it...
Love ~ Lady Anne xx

Karon said...

WOW - this is amazing! How beautiful - all those colours and elements! TFS

Anne Temple said...

Your mixed media canvas is gorgeous. SO many wonderful details. So glad you shared it with us for the Sparkle N Sprinkle Creative Challenge.

Jacqui's Crafts said...

Lovely project loads of hard work in there thank you for entering TTPH Challenge

Jacqui DT

Zenita Smith said...

You were brave and did a beautiful job!! I love the eye that you sketched great job!! Thanks for sharing with us at Love to Create Challenge.
Zenita (aka Scrappinwith'Z)
DT member Love to Create Challenge
http://www.scrappinwithz.blogspot.com

Berni Cuttino said...

Wow Teresa, this is simply fabulous, just love the way the eye is the focal point of this beauty.
Hugs

Nicola Crowe said...

Absolutely beautiful project thanks for joining us at TTPH
Nicola DT

meiaudesigns said...

Gorgeous project! Very unique! Thanks for joining us this week at Love to Create!

Mei
LTC DT
Anyone for Anya DT
Stampavie and More DT
Creative Fingers DT 

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This piece turned out beautifully! I'm so glad that you had the courage to give it a whirl! It can be intimidating to see the incredible artwork of others, but you've created an incredible piece of art yourself! I especially liked how you based it around the eye drawing that you did. I think it's brilliant to incorporate your own sketches and illustrations into your creations. This has so many lovely and energetic elements and I hope you deem it as a success as well. Stunning work and I'm so glad you shared your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog!

Sandi McLean said...

Saw you at Make It Monday and just had to come for a close up look! Wow, you have created a wonderful piece. I love that you shared the thinking behind your elements. I am sure you will do more of these :)

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow there is so much detail to feast on in this beautiful piece of art. Love the autumn tones too.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Darcy Schroeder said...

Teresa, what a great collage of elements. I could just keep looking at it forever!! Great details. I saw your card on Make it Monday and also at Through the Purple Haze!!!
Hugs
Darcy

Penny said...

Very cool project, Teresa! Really love your gorgeous focal point and all of your fun design details! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Diane said...

Very fun mixed media design Teresa.

Hugs diane

Laine said...

Stunning colour, design and detail Teresa.
Laine
xx

Laine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cass said...

WOW! an amazing collage, love the colours you have used, saw it on MIM

Loz said...

Amazing project Teresa. The colors are so vibrant. I saw this on MIM..Loz

Dawn C said...

Wow this is gorgeous & only your first attempt!!!! This caught my eye over at MIM, but thank you for my comment too x

Create With Joy said...

Thank you so much for joining us at Create With Joy Teresa. Your art is amazing!

I would LOVE for you to share your creative talents with us at our weekly Inspire Me Monday and Friendship Friday parties (they are open all week for your convenience!)

Thanks and have a beautiful week!

Create With Joy said...

Thank you so much for joining us at Create With Joy Teresa. Your art is amazing!

I would LOVE for you to share your creative talents with us at our weekly Inspire Me Monday and Friendship Friday parties (they are open all week for your convenience!)

Thanks and have a beautiful week!

suzARTe said...

Hi teresa,
This is really eclectic and artistic. Although the images have been randimly placed they can all be seen clearly and have a definite place.

Thanks so much for sharing this at Anything goes, Just keep on creating. i hope you will share more of your beautiful work :)

Margaret said...

Oh my goodness this is really something else. It certainly has the WOW factor a great piece of art.
Saw this on MIM.
Thanks for visiting me.
Hugs
Margaret M

Michelle said...

Wow - stunning project. Thanks for joining us at Love To Create this week.

Karen said...

Fluttering in from MIM... WOW, this is spectacular! I cannot believe this is your first journey into this type of project. It's brilliant. Every element is outstanding. Incredible work on this masterpiece! :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Jacki Randolph said...

Gorgeous!! Fabulous design and colors!
Thanks for sharing with us at Love to Create!!
Hugs' xx
Jackie - LTC owner

Teresa McKitterick said...

Wow, this reallt is stunning Teresa. There's so much to look at. Thanks for joining us at
Through The Purple Haze Challenges Hope to see you again next week
Hugs, Teresa DT
Ceesa's Card Creations

Teresa McKitterick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carole Robb Bisson said...

Teresa,
This is such a work of art. I have pages prepped ready to go but my craft room is quite chilly this winter. Thank you for sharing this wonderful art with us at Word Art Wednesday today. Blessings, Carole DT

Anita Blake said...

love the collage and the eye at the center is lovely...i love all of the different elements involved in this canvas. Thanks for joining us this week with our oolour with pencil challenge at Through The Purple Haze Challenges ....Anita DT xx

Lisbeth K said...

This is amazing! Beautiful colors, so many details, it looks like you really enjoyed yourself making this one! Thank you for joining us at TTPH this week, good luck :)

Lisbeth K @ Lisbeths hobbyer
Through The Purple Haze DT

ursula Uphof said...

A fantastic project Teresa. Your focal point is amazing and I just love all the elements. Would never say this was your first try. Thanks for all your lovely comments on my blog. Hugs, Ursula

Cheryl Wright said...

Beautiful, Teresa! I've been doing a bit of mixed media, but haven't tried canvas.

Saints Rule! said...

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing your work with us at Word Art Wednesday! We are blessed by your support and participation!