Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Using up those scraps - Post Two

Hello Peeps,

I promised that I would have another post soon about using up my overflowing stash of paper scraps and I have kept my word.

CardMaker has a new challenge today to make a mitten-shaped card. I thought this would be a great opportunity to do some paper weaving. I started with a 10x5.5 piece of red cardstock. I scored it at the center (5 inches) and drew my mitten shape in pencil, with the cuff (or wrist) starting at the fold. Next I chose 3 different patterned papers (all striped) and scored them at 1/4 inch intervals, keeping the stripes vertical. Then I cut them on the score lines. I had to do it this way because of the type of cutter I have. You might have an easier way.

Once all of my scraps were cut into 1/4 strips I started the weaving process. I should mention that the navy striped paper is not an actual scrap as I had a fair-sized piece of it. I used that paper as my vertical base for weaving. I secured one end of my navy paper strips to the straight edge of the printer paper, keeping the strips close together. Here is a picture to give you a better idea.

Then I started weaving my other 1/4 inch strips: under-over with the first strip and over-under with the next, alternating my two patterned papers. I ran out of one of the patterned papers by the time I got to the end, but you would have to look VERY closely to catch that one.


This took a while so I listened to something on my computer while I worked at it. I tried to snug up each strip as closely as I could get it to the last so I would have a reasonably tight weave.

We are nearing the finish with this part now. I carefully lifted the strips and made a few tracks with my tape runner to secure them.

I did not have enough paper to cover my whole mitten. Remember, I'm using scraps here so I had to improvise. I chose another paper scrap to use for my thumb and the cuff of the mitten. I could have done the same for the top of the mitten, but I didn't have enough of that paper. Scraps - you use what you've got and make it work.

I glued the thumb piece down first and then got my card form glued up and ready for my paper woven piece.

I laid my woven piece on the mitten form so the navy stripes were straight along the length of the mitten. Then I cut around it and used a few drops of white glue wherever the paper was not sticking. I also cut the polka-dotted piece around the thumb and trimmed the woven piece around the inside of the thumb piece.

Finally I glued the rest of my polka-dot scrap along the cuff and cut around it. Notice that I did not lay the piece exactly straight. I tried to picture how the cuff would lay on a real mitten. If I were to do this design again I would score the cuff piece to make it appear to be ribbed.

To complete this design I only added a sticker (this one is for a boy) and a sentiment. I'll tell you a secret. The sticker actually covers a little gap between the weaving and the thumb piece where my cutting was a bit off. I do confess that this is not the first time I have covered a crafting OOPS with an embellishment.

Thanks for visiting. I hope I have inspired you to try this technique if you have never done it before, or even if you have.  In any event, I would love to hear how you put your paper scraps to work or even how you organize them. That would be valuable information to me, because I don't have much of a system.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa
Challenges:
Tuesday Throwdown - Stripes
Make It Monday - Always Anything Goes
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Anything Goes
Cardmaker Challenge - Mittens
Cardz 4 Guyz - Happy Birthday
Cuttin and Stampin Challenges - Anything with Winter
Inky Chicks - Anything Goes
Oldie But A Goodie Challenge - (papers and sticker)

16 comments:

Cazro said...

Wow! I congratulate you on your patience in producing your weaved Ice hockey mitt. It is amazing, I am sure this card will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing with us during our first challenge at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz

Mynnette said...

How neat!!! LOVE the finished product--it looks fabulous! I don't know that I have the patience for it! ;) HUGS and have a great rest of the week! Mynn xx

Vickie Y said...

Fabulous weave and mitten card! Thank you for playing along with us at Cuttin' and Stampin' Challenge.

Kimbo said...

The paper weaving looks fantastic and such a fun shaped card. Thanks for playing along with our first challenge at Cardz 4 Guyz x

Anna-Karin said...

Fabulous woven glove! What a fun idea and it turned out wonderfully. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Julie Beech said...

What an unusual card.The fabulous end result was so worth your while fiddling with all those little strips!
Hope to see you again for our next challenge at Cards4Guyz.

Judith Taylor - Wright said...

Fabby card hun loving the stripes and thank you for playing along at Tuesday Throwdown Judith DT x

Chana said...

Hi, Theresa,
This is great! I wish I had the patience to do paper weaving, but, alas, I do not. Great job! I saw this a MIM and had to have a closer look. Also wanted to say hello!
Hugz,
Chana

Chana said...

Hi, Theresa,
This is great! I wish I had the patience to do paper weaving, but, alas, I do not. Great job! I saw this a MIM and had to have a closer look. Also wanted to say hello!
Hugz,
Chana

Teresa said...

Super Neat card! Thanks for joining us over at Cuttin' and Stampin'.

Penny said...

OMWord, Teresa, what a lot of work! Turned out great--really love the DP you chose! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Berni Cuttino said...

Wow Teresa, this is amazing, patience is the key word that turned out a beautifully crafted project. Well done
Hugs

Debbie said...

This is so neat!! What a great idea for scraps!
I've started trying to organize my 3 containers of scraps! I have waaaaay too many!! This would be a neat way to use some of them!

Chrissy said...

So clever Teresa and so very effective..Fabulous way to use up scraps..love it.
Thanks for sharing with us at Make it Monday..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Karon said...

WOW Teresa - this turned out wonderful! Love the pattern you created with the weaving! TFS

Kimberly S said...

Beautiful job with your weaving! Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Tuesday Throwdown! :) hugs, Kimberly S