Monday, 6 January 2014

Emboss Resist Technique

This weekend I came across a techniques card that I put together at a Stampin' Up club meeting several years ago. I liked the look of it and decided to give it a whirl. My stamps were pretty excited to be coming out to play, as I have not used them much since discovering digis a few years ago.
The instructions were clear and it looked pretty simple.
I started with two birthday bear stamps that came in a set.
I stamped it with Versa Mark and embossed with snow white powder. So far, so good.

Then I started inking it. Not so good.
It is rather ghostly looking, isn't it? I decided to try embossing in black.
I don't know if I can still call this emboss resist, but the black looks better than the white. The first piece I did in white was so horrible it went straight to the trash without passing by the camera. So I redid that image in black.
Not wanting to admit defeat, I decided to try the white emboss resist again, but with a different stamp. I thought it might work better with a stamp that has a more solid surface.

Still not quite right. Oh well.

I had a little time this afternoon and thought I would give it the old college try one more time. This time I chose an oval frame stamp by SU.
As I was just messing around and didn't expect much, I used a scrap piece of cardstock that already has something on the back.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any before pictures. I masked the stamped image with a Spellbinders oval negative die cut and sponge inked with burgundy. As I was adding the final touches to the piece, it occurred to me that the oval was very like the shape of an eye. That was when the real inspiration hit.

Copics: 0, B00, B02, B05, B24, YG11, YG13, Y15, E00, E11 
I penciled an iris and then got out my Copics and other markers (Black & Grey). I also used my white gel pen for the highlights. I tried to remember the instructions of artist Mark Crilley that I picked up from watching his You Tube videos.

I think it looks pretty good, except for not having any eyelids. I'm not sure whether I should try to add those or just leave it as it is. Any opinions?

Thanks for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you. If you have any emboss-resist advice or postings about it, I would to hear what you have to say.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa






5 comments:

Shelby said...

Some of the best work comes from the repeated trying!! Love how the eye turned out and so real looking. Great work

Shelby

NanaConnie said...

I love this, Teresa! How fun and unique. Love that you shared all your attempts, too. Sometimes I think I'm the only one with stuff destined for the round file right away, without seeing the light of the camera lens. :-D

Dr Sonia S V said...

Such beautiful techniques Teresa...you are tempting me to go craft shopping!

Penny said...

That eye does look real, Teresa! Almost looks like it is peering through a keyhole. :^) And I admire you trying the emboss resist technique. I tried this years ago, but I am afraid I don't do many techniques anymore. Mainly Copic coloring--I am in a rut, lol! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing your attempts! The only question/comment I have is did you wipe the image after sponging the ink? A kleenex or paper towel removes the ink from the embossed image and helps it stand out.