Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Mini Book Birthday

I've made another mini book card. Actually, this is my third, but I didn't get pictures of the 2nd one.

YOU CAN FIND THE TUTORIAL AT PAPER, CRAFT & SCISSORS

This was made for a very special young lady who helps me teach crafts to a home-school family once a week. Yesterday was her birthday and she spent it helping to babysit a houseful of children while their parents were out of town. Catherine baked her own birthday cake (from scratch) so she could celebrate with the children. These are the same kids we teach crafts to once a week. She did a craft with them on her birthday too. At 3 p.m. she volunteered with her sisters to make cookies with an after-school group. Before she left she peeled potatoes for our supper with the kids. She got paid for none of this and did it all with a cheerful heart.

The front of the mini-book card features images that I cut from old calendars. I added pearls to the butterfly and the pearl flourishes are from a roll by Recollections. I used snippets from gold glitter paper for the corners and fake closure strap. It is glued at the back and tucked under the image at the front. Velcro on the inside holds the book closed.
The Front

This is what the book looks like when you first open it. Notice the velcro on the sides. This whole book is made from one 12x12 sheet of cardstock. I added extra pieces to make a pocket and phony flap on the right side.

This is the inside view when you open out the right side. The flaps and pockets are part of the basic design. I added mini tags to the left and right flaps. I did not add velcro to these as I thought it would be too bulky. The center flap has a velcro closure underneath the bottom of the circle. My mini tags were die cut from a kleenex box.

Here the flaps are folded back so you can see the tags inside. Notice the velcro circle on the middle panel. This is how the middle flap is held closed.

Here are the tags out of the pockets. The rectangle tags were cut from calendar covers. The shaped tags were cut from a kleenex box. I added sentiments and cut-out images from calendars. A little green ribbon ties it all together. (no pun intended)

The backs of the shaped tags and their messages.

The backs of the rectangle tags with their messages.

I think you will agree with me that Catherine deserved an extra special birthday card.

Thanks for visiting.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa


Challenges Entered:

Make It Monday - Anything Goes
Through the Craftroom Door - Anything Goes
The Outlawz Monday Greetings - Tag It

4 comments:

Shoregirl said...

What a darling little book - card! I'm sure the young lady you made it for will appreciate all the hard work you put into it!

NanaConnie said...

I just love your mini book cards, Teresa. You always put so much love into all the details. The tags are simply gorgeous. Wonderful way to recycle old kleenex boxes! Loving the pearls.

Shirley-Anne Barber said...

Very creative .A beautiful project to share . Thanks for sharing it on Make it Monday

Lady Anne said...

I will have to have a go at making one of these Teresa, I think I can figure out how it is done *smile* I love these mini books/albums out of one 12x12 sheet. Thank you for sharing with us all...
Love ~ Lady Anne xx
Lady Anne's