Tuesday, 24 September 2013

The 70-mile Yard Sale

This past weekend was the annual 70-mile yard sale on the east side of Prince Edward Island. We look forward to it all year and all the more this year because we hardly made it to any sales at all this summer.

We picked up quite a few goodies, but nothing really big. The best find was this really old prayer station, which must have been in a Catholic church at one time. I can hardly believe I only paid $5 for this precious beauty.

Here is a close-up of the main figures of Mary holding Jesus after he was taken down from the cross.
A picture of The Last Supper is on the front of the door that opens. Here is a close shot of that. Sorry for all of the glare off of the glass. I am going to try to get better shots of everything once I have it cleaned up and mounted on the wall.






















That little door opens out. Inside are stored the candle holders and plate for the Eucharist.
And here it is all set up, with the candle holders in place. I will have to get some plain bees wax candles to go with it. I love the smell of natural bees wax.

What a gorgeous piece. I hope I can clean it up without damaging it. I should have taken a picture of the back. It is covered with some kind of a backing paper that is so old it is coming off in crisp flakes.

I will try to do another post on this once it is all cleaned up, but I wanted to share it with you right away so I hope you will excuse the condition.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hugs,
Teresa

2 comments:

Karon said...

I am not a religious person, however, Teresa this is stunning. Gorgeous art work, can't wait to see it once you have given it a clean and repair! TFS

Berni Cuttino said...

Wow, very artistic painting, beautifully painted. Awesome find.
Hugs