Thursday, 5 September 2013

Boxed Meals

Hello Peeps,

A different sort of creative post for you today - boxed meals.

Like you, I want my family to eat healthy all day long, but I don't want to be working in the kitchen all day long. So, thanks to inspiration from Pinterest and Facebook, I have discovered a couple of ways to provide nutritious meals 3x a day without having to spend really any extra time in the kitchen. Interested?

Breakfast: 1 cup of fruited yogurt, mixed with 1/4 cup of rolled oats. Let sit in the fridge for 8 hours or more. I got containers from Dollarama that hold just the right amount. One big tub of Activia yogurt equals 3 cups of yogurt. I mix 3/4 cup of oats into that and divvy it into 3 small containers. I do this just before bed, or right after supper - times I would normally be in the kitchen anyway. Whenever one of us wakes up he/she grabs a container from the fridge - instant healthy breakfast. It's more filling than you might think and yummy.

  

 And now for today's box lunches:

We usually eat lunch at home, but often one or another of us is out and about during the lunch hour. It's nice to have this pack n' go feature to save money and maintain a healthy diet. Since we each have our own particular tastes, I individualized and labeled each box. The deviled eggs were easy. I boiled eggs to use in last night's supper (pepper, mushroom & egg pasta stir fry) so I cooked and peeled a few extras to use for today's lunches. Paul likes a veggie dip (tomato-basil humus mixed with a little sour cream) and he gets a couple of low-sugar brownies to curb his chocolate cravings. Terry burns more calories than the rest of us, so he can afford two blueberry muffins. I took some unsweetened apple sauce with my blueberry muffin. (the muffins were given to us by a bake-happy neighbour and I made the brownies a few days ago)



I put these lunches together early this morning just after feeding the pets, a time when I am normally in the kitchen. I prefer doing my chores early so I can craft or paint later on. Nothing is more disrupting to a creative flow than having to stop in the middle to go prepare a meal. I have to do that when it's time to fix supper, which is fine, but I really don't want to stop to prepare lunches besides. I love my family, but I need my creative space too.

Were you inspired by this post? I hope so. Maybe you are a veteran lunch box maker and you are grinning at this greenhorn rookie. Either way, I'd love to hear your opinions or suggestions. And thanks for stopping by.

Blessings on your day,
Teresa

1 comment:

Berni Cuttino said...

I so wish, I lived near you, this is awesome pre preparation.
Blessings