Friday, 2 August 2013

Journey of a Painting - Step 5

Over the last two months I have been working on a painting for my MIL's birthday. This is the 5th post of the process, from start to finish.

Yikes! What a difficult beginning to painting my handsome husband's face. He looks absolutely horrid. But I am still fairly confident at this stage that it will turn out all right.

This is somewhat better. I spent hours just 'erasing' what I'd done with water and a stippler brush. And that was just to get to this point. Getting the (suggested) veins in his temple and some of the shading. The ruddy tones are coming along. I am praying everyday to get this right.

Okay, I don't know if this is getting better or worse. Terry looks about 40 pounds heavier than he really is and somewhat plastic. I started on his hair and beard, but I am not very happy with them so far. He looks somewhat like a southern Baptist preacher. I'm starting to wonder if I can really do this or not.
I hope you will come back tomorrow to see if I was ever able to complete this painting to my satisfaction.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

2 comments:

Karon said...

Teresa - oh my - this is absolutely fabulous!!!! Can't wait to see the finished result. Your MIL is going to be amazed! Have a great weekend. Hugs, Karon.

Carla S. said...

You are doing an amazing job with this wonderful painting, Teresa! It's truly a labor of love! I have enjoyed the stages you've shown so far. Can't wait to see it when you're done!