Friday, 2 August 2013

Journey of a Painting - Step 4

If you are just popping over, you are 3 posts behind the beginning of this painting. You might want to go back and review those posts (they are not wordy) so you can see the process from the beginning.

So far, I had basically a B&W painting with a blue background. Now comes the really scary part - adding colour and hoping I don't mess up what I've already accomplished.

Following the advice of my art teacher, Susan Christiansen, I started with the darkest colour, which happened to be black. But just because something is black, doesn't mean it is all one colour. There are varying tones of black, which are better achieved by mixing a variety of colours than by using black paint. Then there are annoyingly patterned clothes. It was quite the challenge painting Terry's vest. I wish I had been more astute in transferring the design to the canvas in the first place. Quite a bit of what I did was 'ad lib'.  My MIL's sweater was slightly easier to duplicate. I was fairly satisfied with the painting at this point.

Next I painted the blues of Terry's tie, the ribbon in Mom's corsage and the soft blue of her eyes. And I worked a little more on her hair.


I painted Mom's fair skin and finally (after numerous botched attempts) got the eyes right. About the eyes, Mom has a lazy eye - a leftover effect from Bell's Palsy that she had many years ago. I decided to correct that and widen her other eye too while I was at it. I thought I would give her a little lipstick and a bit of a face lift as well. I also softened the waves and colour of her hair. I wanted her inner beauty to shine through in this painting and I feel I have accomplished that.

Later today I will post the next stage of this painting - trying to duplicate my husband's kind and handsome face. What a challenge! I hope you come back.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

8 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow Teresa this is an awesome little work of art. Your colouring is amazing.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Trina said...

You're doing an amazing job, Teresa!

Allan Menezes said...

You're doing an awesome job Tee. Can't wait to see the final product!

Allan Menezes said...

You're doing an awesome job Tee.

Can't wait to see the final product!

NanaConnie said...

WOW, Teresa! Fantastic postings so far. Love the detail you give us in your explanation of what you've done in each step. Can't wait to see the rest of the process and the finished result. I'll bet she was over the moon when you gave it to her. :-D Hugs.

Penny said...

Teresa, this is a fabulous work of fine art! Really, really wonderful! :^)
Hugs, Penny

Lady Anne said...

I can really see how you are improving with each stroke of your brush. I love that has gone into this is amazing, I can see it shining through. I can't wait to see the finished portrait, will you be hanging this on your wall?
Love as always ~ Lady Anne xx

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell
someone!

Here is my webpage ... weight loss Review