Thursday, 1 August 2013

Journey of a Painting - Step 1

My blog followers must think I've dropped off the edge of the earth; it has been that long since I have posted. I do apologize for that, but it really couldn't be helped.

For the past two months I have been working on a secret painting. It is a gift for my MIL's 80th birthday, so while I have been taking photos of the process, I could not post anything about it until today - August 1st, which is her birthday.

The photograph was taken of my husband Terry and his mother at our 25th wedding renewal on May 19, 2012. It is truly beautiful how the photographer captured that loving gaze between my MIL and her son. I wanted to at least try to interpret that onto canvas.

Terry's mother was not entirely pleased with the photograph because her hair was messy from the wind. From one woman to another, I can understand how she felt, so I determined to give her hair a fix while I was at it.

The first thing I learned from my art teacher, Susan Christiansen, was to rub an H2 graphite crayon all over the back of the blown-up photograph. Next I taped the big photo onto my canvas and started outlining the various tones and shades with a red pen because that allows me to easily see where I last stopped.

When I lifted the photo from the canvas, I was left with this outline as the base for my painting.
Stay tuned for Step 2 of this painting, which I will post later today.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa


No comments: