Monday, 20 May 2013

Long Overdue Post

It's been like forever since I last posted. I thought it was about time I let my followers know what I have been up to lately.

My family are very happy with all the healthy & delicious improvements in my food preparations skills. Today I cooked 3 whole chickens in my oven roasting pan. For supper we had some of the chicken, organic carrots, mashed potatoes with parsley & chives, and a salad with fresh raspberries & homemade raspberry dressing.
Basic Whole Roasted Chicken
Once the chicken cooled enough to be handled, I tore apart the meat to use for future meals and started a big pot of chicken stock, using the bones, stock from the roasted chickens, chicken giblets, turnip, onions & garlic. (First I added an acid to draw the calcium from the bones.) I brought everything to a boil, skimming off the scum that rose to the surface. Then I moved the big pot (hubby helped with this part) to the back of my stove and put it to simmer.

My home will smell delicious for the next 2-3 days while the stock simmers. I will stir it occasionally throughout that time. During the last hour of cooking, I will add sea salt, pepper, bay leaf and maybe some tarragon. Once it cools a bit I will strain the broth into another stock pot and pop it into the freezer so the fat will thicken & rise to the top and I can skim it off. By the point the broth is finished simmering, the bones will be so soft I will be able to crush them between my fingers. I'll pick out anything I don't want (like the bay leaves) and dump everything else into my food processor to make a soft food for my dog.

To store the broth, I fill Mason jars to about an inch below the shoulder of the jars and freeze them with the lids off. Once the liquid is completely frozen I put the lids on and I've not had the jars break on me by freezing them that way.

Homemade broth is one of the healthiest foods you can eat and it can be used in many recipes as well. I learned how to make the best broth from my studies at GNOWFGLINS.


On another topic, my family recently bought me a few art classes at Michael's. I have been learning how to make a painting of a photograph. The first step is to transfer the image to the canvas. The next step is to make a tonal painting, kind of like a B&W. That is what I have done so far.
THE PHOTO
MY TONAL PAINTING
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are enjoying your spring and not in line with the terrible tornadoes that have been pummeling Oklahoma.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

6 comments:

NanaConnie said...

Oh, you have been busy, Teresa! This makes me remember my mother making chicken stock and also beef broth. You're right, the kitchen smells so good for about three days!
Love the canvas. Are you going to share the finished product with us. too? I sure hope so. :-D

Teresa Arsenault said...

Oh yes, I will certainly share my final painting. I hope it turns out okay. :)

Karon said...

Hi Teresa - oohh that chicken looks yummy! And wow - that picture is amazing!!!! Love it. TFS

Debbie said...

Yummy looking chicken!!!
Good for you to learn to paint! I can't even paint a stick figure! LOL

Berni Cuttino said...

OMG, Teresa, this looks so yummy. I wish I lived closer to be your suof chef. Thanks for your sweet luv.
Blessings

Golda said...

Wow, your broth sounds amazing, but quite a bit of work. I know when my mom used to do this with turkey bones, etc. it always smelled horrendous in the house for about a week afterwards. Does chicken not smell horrid, like that?