Saturday, 11 August 2012

New Family Member - Amazing God

Recently someone prayed for me and told me that God was going to show me how very much HE loves me. They were right.

Some of you are aware that my 11-year-old male (hatched 2001) Alexandrine, Gonzo, passed away about a month ago. It was a freak occurrence and I was devastated. I had expected to have had Gonzo with me for another 30 years or more.

A friend asked me if I would get another parrot. I didn't want to say no, but I didn't think I would. I especially didn't think I would get another Alex.

My dove, Treasure, was bonded to Gonzo, so she went into deep mourning herself, including a major stress moult. In the first week or so, she would lie in my hands or against my chest and coo or make little whimpering sounds. It was heart-breaking to my already broken heart. This got me thinking that I should consider another bird for Treasure's sake, as well as my own.

I looked half-heartedly and even answered an ad for a little budgie bird, but never heard anything back.

Some days I was okay, but other days I cried at the drop of a pin. Sometimes I would just cry out to God, "I want my Gonzo back." I went to his burial site twice and placed wild flowers on his grave. The first time was the hardest because that was when I made myself say goodbye.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago my step-son called to say he would be making an impromptu visit to us. We hadn't seen him in a year and a half, so this was very exciting and unexpected. Usually my MIL comes to the Island at this time of the year, but this summer she didn't feel up to doing so. So we decided to make an impromptu visit to her in New Brunswick.

A couple of days before our planned trip to New Brunswick (and the day before my SS arrived) I was having an especially hard day grieving for Gonzo. I had an overwhelming urge to just take a look on Kijiji in New Brunswick. There on the first page was a poor little feather-picked female Alexandrine who just happened to live in Saint John, New Brunswick, where my MIL lives.

 
That was Thursday (August 2) in the afternoon. I clipped the photo and posted it to my desktop. That afternoon, as my husband came in the door from work he was sure that he heard Gonzo. He came upstairs to find me at my computer with the picture of Yuki as my desktop background. I told him about Yuki and he told me about hearing an Alexandrine voice as he came in the door.

Friday came and went (almost) and I removed Yuki's picture from my computer, figuring it was just not meant to be. We were leaving first thing in the morning for Saint John, NB and had told the owner our plans.

Then, after I had given up hope, Yuki's owner called. She told me that many people had responded to her ad, but they were holding out for the 'right' one. She and her husband felt that I was that one. We made arrangements that I would call the next day after our arrival. She would give me her address at that time.

After our arrival in Saint John, and a reasonable time of visiting, I gave Yuki's owner a call. I put my SIL on the phone to take directions so we could go over to meet Yuki. My SIL grinned as she got off the phone and I asked if she knew where the place was. Not only was Yuki in their neighbourhood, she was living in the same apartments my BIL manages and had lived in for years, up until about 2 years ago.

When we walked into the apartment there was a ragged cardboard box on the floor. I didn't think much of it until Terry said, "There she is!" Peeking out from the 'door' of the box was a cute little green face with a red beak.
 Her owner picked Yuki up and handed her to me. Within seconds she was letting me give her kisses and pet her head.

She started making little Alexandrine vocalizations and Terry said, "That's the noise. That's what I heard when I came home from work on Thursday."


She stepped up (onto the hand) for Terry and my SIL even had a go with her, though she had said she wouldn't.

We decided that we wanted Yuki for sure if the owners were still willing.

I am very interested in the meanings of names and I determined to Google Yuki whenever we got back home. It turned out I didn't have to do it.

On Monday morning, as Terry checked our sons out of their hotel room, my SIL noticed that the desk clerk's name was Yuki. Terry asked her the meaning of it and she told him, "Yuki means happy." What are the chances of meeting someone named Yuki on the very day we were to pick up our Yuki and bring her home?

Yuki's owner told me that she used to take her in the shower with her and Yuki really liked it. She also said she wasn't sure of Yuki's age (10 or 11), but it was on her leg band. Tuesday morning I took Yuki into the shower with me and got a good look at her leg band. Her hatch date was 2001 - the same as Gonzo's.

I didn't have time to mull all of this over until Thursday morning when I had some alone time with my Lord. I started recounting to HIM all of the 'coincidences' that had led me to Yuki.

  1.  Impromptu visit from my SS and.....
  2.  My MIL deciding to not visit the Island at this time, as she has done for the past 10 years, leading to....
  3.  Impromptu visit to Saint John, New Brunswick, leading to...
  4. Looking on Kijiji in New Brunswick, leading to...
  5. Finding an Alexandrine (not a common parrot to see for sale) in New Brunswick...
  6. Terry hearing an Alexandrine voice on the day I found the ad for Yuki, before he knew about it.
  7. The Alexandrine living right in Saint John....
  8.  In the same neighbourhood as my MIL...
  9.  In the apartment building my BIL manages and lived in for years
  10. Yuki's vocalizations being the same sound Terry had heard on the Thursday before when I found the ad for her.
  11. The hotel desk clerk named Yuki that told us the meaning of her name. (Happy)
  12. Yuki having the same hatch date (year) as Gonzo.

I realized that in order for God to have orchestrated all of these 'coincidences' he would had to have gone back at least 11 years. I had to ask - was there some greater purpose to all this?

YES, the answer came. "The greater purpose is that I love you."

Thank you, Daddy God. You are so good to me.



13 comments:

ursula Uphof said...

Teresa, this is an amazing story, and goes to show that there is someone who cares for us. I am so pleased for you and may you have many happy times with Yuki...Hope your little dove will be as happy. hugs Ursula.

Karons Krafty Korner said...

Fabulous situation - thanks for sharing. In that last photo I would swear that Yuki is smiling. :-)

Penny said...

Beautiful story, Teresa. I am sure that Gonzo was a part of the entire plan. Apparently he needed to leave so that you could give Yuki a home. Gonzo must be very pleased for you and Treasure. Here's wishing you many happy years with Yuki! :^)
Hugs,
Penny

Darlene Lyons said...

God is so great! It will never cease to amaze me how the plans he has for us are so eloquently orchestrated! May God Bless your newest family member Yuki!

Sandra van Blaricum said...

This is a beautiful story Teresa, it was mend to be!!
So happy for you!
hugs, Sandra

Laurian said...

Teresa I am so pleased you have found Yuki! As a fellow parrot person who has experienced that loss I am thrilled for you and Yuki that you have found each other,there truly is a greater force at work than we could ever dream of!
Huge hugs to both of you,

Laurian

Cheri said...

Now, that I've wiped away most of the tears, I can write a note. I'm delighted for you and for Yuki!!! God's plans are complete in perfect faithfulness. Isaiah 25:1

Theresa said...

So wonderful that You got Yuki! God is great! Enjoy your new baby for many years to come!

Rona said...

Oh Teresa what a great story and I am very happy for you AND Yuki!!!

Margaret said...

Teresa, I am in tears reading this. It was truly a gift from God. It was meant that you were to have Yuki. Hopefully you will have many more years with her. God is great!

Colleen Holmes said...

What a beautiful story. I am sitting here with happy tears rolling down my face. God is good, very good. Hugz

Pryn said...

I am bawling my eyes out! I am so, so, so happy for you...and for Yuki! The story....a true love story...that you have told leaves me swing inside and out. God IS good! He's great, actually ;) It is no doubt that sweet little Gonzo helped to choose the perfect partner for Treasure and for you. To "see" and "hear" my Sistah so happy, well, it warms my heart! Congratulations on your newest edition to the family!

Love and hugs to you my DT Sistah....and also to my new cyber nephew, Yuki <3

Sandra said...

Teresa, both yours and Yuki's good fortune brought me to tears, and it made me think of one of the little sayings I have handy when I become weak at the knees, God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain. He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way. That's when I usually thank him for blessing me much much more than I deserve. He loves you and Yuki and that's why you have been brought together, and it couldn't have happen to a nicer person and beautiful bird
:)S.