Thursday, 26 July 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Today I am going to teach you how to save LOTS of money by making your own laundry detergent. Now, now. Hold on a second. Before you click away, let me assure you that it is extremely easy. The most labour intensive part is grating the bar soap and that is actually easier than grating cheese. You can grate cheese, right? Okay. So here we go.

First you need to buy your ingredients, which are easily found on your grocery store shelf. You will need 1 box of Borax, 1 box of washing soda and 1 bar of laundry soap. You will also need a clean 5-gallon pail with a lid.

The first thing you will do is grate the cheese... um... I mean soap. But it looks like cheese, doesn't it? Don't taste. 8^p
If you can't get the last bit grated, save it to use on those tough stains before you wash. In fact, any bar of soap, along with a nail brush, is the best way to get out almost any stain.

Next you are going to put the grated soap into a pot and cover it with water. If you want to speed up the process, boil the water in your kettle first. You only need enough to cover the soap as the goal is simply to melt it. Cook and stir over a medium heat until the soap is completely dissolved.
Once your soap is dissolved, measure 1 cup of washing soda and 1/2 cup of Borax into your 5-gallon pail. Pour the hot soap mixture on top and stir until the powders are dissolved.
Next, carry your pail to your laundry room and fill it up with hot tap water. You can stir it with a broom handle at this point. Pop on your lid and let it sit overnight. Stir it in the morning. I usually pour mine into used laundry detergent bottles at this point, using a large measuring cup with a spout. You need to shake it before each use because it tends to separate some.

Use 1 cup per load for top loading machines and 1/3 cup for front loading machines. 


We do about 5 loads of laundry per week and my pail lasts for 3-4 months. I think the initial output was about $15 CAN. The only thing I have had to buy again, so far, is the laundry bar soap (about $5 for a package of 2) - once. I just started my 3rd bucket of detergent today and I still have plenty of Borax and Washing Soda. That's $20 for up to a year's worth of laundry detergent. Now that's what I call savings.

Just in case you think I am a genius --- this recipe did not come originally from me. It has been passed around the table many, many times.

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your comments. Do you make your own laundry detergent (or any other household product) or are you considering giving it a try?

Blessing hugs,
Teresa



6 comments:

Sharon Jones said...

Awesome, Teresa!! Now I need to get a 20 gal. pail first... ;D
Hugz2u, dearie!!

NanaConnie said...

I used to make my own liquid laundry soap when my kids were little and the family was large. Now it's just me, and I don't bother anymore, since the amount of laundry I do is so minimal. But it is a cost effective way to manage the budget. :-D

Shelby said...

Cool idea!

Shelby

Shoregirl said...

Hello Teresa,
I have a friend and a niece who've made their own laundry soap and both love it. I haven't actually "taken the plunge" yet --- but looks like a great idea!
Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog --- isn't Karen's Word Art Lovely?!

Rosie Guiher said...

I have seen this but love how you show how to do it. I want to try it sometime. I do use a lot of baking soda in my whites instead of bleach. i also do my pans with some baking soda and a drop of dawn or what ever i have at the time,lol. thanks for sharing.

Rosie Guiher said...

whoops forgot to ask how does this do in cold water since thats what i mostly use?