Sunday, 1 July 2012

Gonzo the Great 1999-2012

Today a very dear friend passed away.

Gonzo the Great was with me since 1999 when I got him from his breeder in Ontario as a hand-fed baby.

Shortly after Terry's brother died, and we were very sad, Gonzo asked us, "Do you wanna tickle? Tickle, tickle, tickle!" We had to laugh in spite of ourselves.

When I was hand raising little budgie birds, he learned the meaning of gentle - a lesson he always lived by. He even taught the budgie we decided to keep for ourselves how to talk. Didgeridoo was sometimes annoying to the bigger birds, but Gonzo never once ever hurt him.

The only thing Gonzo was not gentle with was my clothes, into which he liked to punch holes with his big red beak. Before I could even tell him no, he would scold himself, saying, "No! Don't. Ow!"

Gonzo did not like to be petted and I respected that - mostly. Whenever I crossed that line (patting his head or belly) he would hiss softly and whisper, "Shhh.. Gentle."

When our Cockatoo, Zoley, developed an all-encompassing phobia, Gonzo was the only one he would trust. Even though Gonzo did not like to be touched, he let Zoley sit closely to him since Zoley really needed physical touch.

Gonzo was even the reluctant 'mate' to our somewhat confused white dove, Treasure for many years. Now she is alone.

I think I will miss Gonzo's voice most of all. That and his sense of humour. He could always make me laugh, even when he was being bad. He even had my laugh.

Thanks for taking the time to read this little tribute to Gonzo. It helps to write it out like this. I will miss him dearly.

Blessings,
Teresa


7 comments:

Penny said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how attached one can become to birds--we have had some in the past. And they each have such a unique personality! Sounds like Gonzo was a real gem, and I know you will really miss him.
Sending you big hugs,
Penny

Trina said...

So sorry Teresa! It's rough losing good pets...

Kathi said...

My condolences to you for your loss.

Pets are family members and not everyone understands how important they are to us.

So, my heart goes out to you. He was a beautiful bird.

Mrs. Jones from the Circus said...

Oh Teresa. I'm sorry for your loss. Pets ^so become parts of our family.

ursula Uphof said...

Teresa, so sorry to hear about Gonzo...he seemed to be quite special. I remember the challenge we did with his colours. My heart goes out to you..hugs, Ursula

Karen Roth said...

oh,hun I am so sorry to hear of your tremendous loss. I have lost so many pets in my young lifetime that I can just feel your hurt. Not in the same capacity as you, though, that I realize. If it makes you feel better talk to his picture on a daily basis for a while.

Sending a ton of prayers and love tour way,hun {{{hugz}}}

NanaConnie said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so glad you posted and shared with us about Gonzo. He obviously was special. Only time will ease the loss, but the memories of him will always be yours. Bless you, my friend.