Monday, 18 June 2012

A Lovely Meal and a Card To Thank

My neighbour has a wonderful passion that everyone can appreciate. She loves to cook. And she does it very well.

Yesterday Peter and Mary invited us for a BBQ and an awesome meal. We only had to walk across the street. I brought a dessert, but Mary even had that covered. Because she is so gracious, she served my dessert. That is the way Peter and Mary are; they are gracious hosts and so hospitable.

From the moment we stepped onto their property, they anticipated our every want for food and drink. Yet they were relaxed and at ease the entire time. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

I wanted to show our appreciation in my own unique way, so I made them a card with an extra personal touch.

The type of card - a tent topper - was chosen for me by Susan at Card Swaps for our weekly member challenge. This is a simple design of a top folded card with a shaped piece that extends beyond the top. You cut your card base shorter than normal to accommodate the topper, so it still fits in an A2 envelope.

Mary has several bird feeders and we enjoyed watching the hummers and other birds outside for the first part of our meal (crab cakes, cob-corn and drinks). Inside, I noticed that Mary and Peter lean toward natural colors and textures in their decor, including a burlap covered accent table in their dining room. I tried to incorporate these elements into my card design.

First I chose a tan natural fiber paper and used a (saved) negative from my Stampin' Up bird punch as a stencil. I sponged with natural ink colors (pear pizzaz, old olive, peach and chocolate chip) through the stencil and then torn a small rectangle to accent my card front and a larger rectangle for the envelope front.



The pre-colored bird image I used for my topper came from Sweetly Scrapped. The bird sits on a box of chocolates, reminiscent of the display of chocolate bars on Peter and Mary's sideboard.

Peter and Mary probably won't catch all of the elements that influenced my design, but hopefully it will communicate my appreciation and gratitude for their hospitality.



Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget about The Outlawz 2000 Member Party next week. I am on the blog hop and I'll have a special tutorial for you. Plus, there will be LOTS of prizes.

Blessing hugs,
Teresa

5 comments:

Colleen Holmes said...

Very Pretty card!! Love the designing and all the extra's you added for your neighbor and I am sure she loved it to pieces! Hugz!

LilyPinkScraps said...

So lovely to do such a personalized design, how very thoughtful :)

Emily @SweetlyScrapped said...

Wow! That is simply beautiful!!! And I love all the thought that you put into your work for them :) I'm sure they loved it!

Shelby said...

What a beautiful and oh so thoughtful card! I'm sure Peter and Mary just loved it.

Shelby

Berni Cuttino said...

Beautiful, your neighbor will love this card.