Saturday, 17 December 2011

Touching Video

Hello to all of my lovely readers,

I would like to thank everyone who stops by to take a peek at my blog. A special thank you to those of you who also take the time to comment. Each comment is like a little gift just waiting to be unwrapped whenever I get to read it. They mean a great deal to me.

I've been trying to keep a steady flow of entertaining and inspiring videos for you at the top of my page. Tonight's video strikes a very personal chord with me. It brings me back to Christmas 1983 when my sons were 3 and 5 years old.

We were living in a one-bedroom apartment in a rough area of town, where I had only $100/month for food and other basic needs. There was no money for Christmas, but I was able to pick up a couple of toys at the thrift store and I crocheted them each a little teddy bear. Then one day I came home to find a big box of groceries, which also included pajamas for the boys and a coffee serving set for me. Soon after, a local church delivered a big Christmas hamper; perhaps the same anonymous saint gave them our address. In the hamper were many grocery items I would normally buy and there were also special treats I would never be able to splurge on. My 33-year-old son still remembers the chocolate syrup. He had never had such a treat before. I remember the specially decorated, homemade Christmas cookies. I still get choked up thinking of the church ladies baking and decorating them with so much love.

Because of the generosity of these dear saints, I was actually able to go to a real store and buy a record player and record albums for my boys, plus a few other little things. What a thrilling Christmas that was. I still have a cassette recording of that morning with my little boys dancing and singing to The Care Bears Christmas album on their brand new record player. There have been other Christmases with more things under the tree, but none compares to the joy of that Christmas of 1983.

I hope you will be touched by my story and by the video above. The smallest gesture can bring hope to someone in need. You could be someone's miracle this year.

Well, I finished addressing my last Christmas card. I was actually able to make individual cards for everyone on my list; no two are alike or even close to it. It's all those challenges, you know. I kept telling myself I was going to sit down one day and make a big batch of identical cards, but then another challenge would come along and I would make just one card and so on and so on. Oh well. The point is, they did get done.

I made a few more door hangers today. I was short one for my church home group on Thursday night because an extra person showed up. I also made one for each of 4 children in my Monday night children's group. Oops. I just remembered I promised one to someone else at the home group. Yikes. I'd better get right on that.

Anyway, here are the 5 door hangers. The flower I made by punching out multiple layers of scrap paper, inking and scrunching each layer. Then I sewed a button in the middle through all of the layers. The sentiment is by Gina K. Designs.

For my kids' door hangers, I used "Pass It On" cards from the Christian bookstore. The "Love Never Fails" design also uses two digital images. The fish is by McMahon Five Designs and the girl with the fishbowl is by Guylou's Inimitability.

The Design with the dog also has a digital image. It is by "Just Some Lines" and I think it goes perfectly with the "Pass It On" card.

Have a good night and a wonderfully blessed Sunday,
Teresa






3 comments:

Ann said...

What a beautiful story; thanks for sharing this Teresa. :)

ursula Uphof said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us Teresa, and your doorhangers are so lovely. I would like to wish you a very Blessed Christmas, as we are off on our holiday in a few days, and I might not get to visit again before that.

Reflections from Granny said...

Teresa, your door hangers are so unique and special, I love the fact that your not mass producing the same designs. I think it's so nice to share something different when possible.

Your story just touched my heart and we too have been blessed by Angels in the past. The memories will always be in our hearts.

Merry Christmas, blessings and hugs, Lori m