Friday, 11 November 2011

Remembering Our Veterans

November 11 - the day we remember.

My dad fought in WWII. He was a dispatch rider on a motorcycle. He had no platoon. He rode between camps, delivering vital information, diving bullets as he went. He spent nights alone in ditches, damp and cold; no comforting voices of fellow soldiers beside him. The nights were pitch black. He once awoke to find a dead horse lying beside him. He was 19 years old. Just a kid, by today's standards.

My dad fought in WWII. He fought to free our world from tyranny. He knew horrors he could never speak of; horrors his children would never have to know. Because he fought.

Today, I salute my dad.

4 comments:

Trina said...

My parents are vets, too. They are blessed to have never had to endure any tour like your father's. I salute your dad, too!

Have an awesome day!

Annette said...

Thanks for sharing...My husband is a Vet..
Have a wonderful day...

Mrs. Jones from the Circus said...

Teresa, I love your tribute to your Father. A true American Hero! Thank you for sharing.

Sara I. said...

Amazing tribute and fabulous pic of your brave father. I am so thankful for men like your father that have fought and still fight for our freedom. God bless.