Sunday, 2 October 2011

My New Pets

Today I received two new pets, but these pets will feed me. They are both symbiotic cultures (pro-bio-tics). One is called Kefir and the other is Kombucha.


Kefir grains (as they are commonly called) are mixed with milk to create a pro-biotic drink similar to yoghurt. It can be flavored and made into a smoothie. It can also be used in your favorite pancake recipe in place of buttermilk. I'm sure there are lots of other recipes, which I will be exploring soon.

Kombucha is a symbiotic culture that creates a sweet tea-like drink. It can be flavored with fresh fruit, jams, ginger and just about anything you might like to try. Kombucha tea create its own fizz as it ferments, so you can actually drink your own homemade healthy soda pop. The Kombucha 'mother' looks something like a pancake that grows 'baby' cultures as it matures. The babies can be peeled off to make other batches of Kombucha tea (each batch takes about a week) or they can be given to friends and family members who want to experience the benefits of drinking Kombucha tea. That is how we got our Kombucha 'mushroom'. Our friends gave us a culture from one of their mothers and also some of their Kefir grains.

I am looking forward to experiencing the benefits of  Kombucha and Kefir. Our friend had many allergies and sensitivities all of his life. In a short time of consuming these pro-biotic foods, his health has improved amazingly, he is able to eat foods he could not tolerate before and his receded hairline is actually filling back in. I will give you updates every now and again to let you know what benefits I experience. My greatest hope is that many of my health issues (including CFS and Fibromyalgia) will begin to improve or even disappear.


Of course, I have another card for you today. I made it for World Card Making day over at CardMaker Card Swap's one day crop. The adorable chickie image is from Fred She Said.

Blessings,
Teresa

2 comments:

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

cute card. i like the kefir drinks. hope it all helps. will keep you in my prayers.

hugs :)

Trina said...

I'll drink kefir, but kombucha... I find that to be rough! I have to remind myself that it's good for me...