Sunday, 28 August 2011

The Contest Begins - August 29, 2011


A big hello to all of my lovely followers! Today is the launch of my very first blog contest. YAY! I am so excited to be able to offer to one of you My Memories Suite V2 digital scrapbooking software.
Let me first say that my hat is totally off to all of you wonderful crafters who actually take the time to print out your pictures and hand make your scrapbook albums. I did make one handmade scrapbook album, which was for my sweet MIL. It was truly a labour of love, with emphasis on the LOVE, but I would probably not do one again.
First of all, I prefer to have all of my pictures on my computer. I do have some in boxes, but I rarely look at them and I’m just vaguely aware that they contribute to the clutter of my storage-starved house.
My pictures display on my computer screen saver and I also have some on a digital photo frame in my living room. But just because I prefer my photos on digital display, doesn’t mean I don’t want them to look nice, too. With My Memories, now I can have the best of both worlds. I can always print out albums as well, to give as gifts. Imagine being able to put together one album, one time, that you can print and share with multiple people. Maybe even some of your darling handmade scrapbook artists would enjoy that option.
First I want to tell you about my review of the product because I would not recommend something to you that I did not enjoy thoroughly myself.
My Memories site has oodles of designs & template packages available, many of which are free; but I wanted to first see how much I could accomplish with the basic software. After all, the affordability factor is moot if you have to BUY oodles of design & template packages to make it work for you.
Day One
My main concern with trying out a new software is always its ease of use. Ideally, I want to be able to dive right in and start creating with little or no instruction. Yeah, I know - lazy me. But My Memories actually let me do it. 
I started with a theme-based template until I got comfortable enough to start making changes. With the theme based template, background papers, photo layouts, text boxes and embellishments are included. All you have to do is pop in your pictures and there you go. But soon I was adding layers and embellishments, changing text font & color, and learning how to add a video element that you can push a button embellishment to activate. I completed my first album in just a few hours.
Day Two:
Finding on Day One that it was so easy to change background papers and embellishments, I decided to start my next album with a template only. In this format, only the photo frames and text boxes are set up for you.
I chose my background papers, inserted my pictures, and then added ribbons, stitching and embellishments from the generously-sized library available with the basic software. I also learned how to change the shapes of my picture frames and I started moving things around a lot more.

Day Three:
I added some final touches to my 2nd album and uploaded it as a movie to my You-Tube account. Then I added it to my blog posting for that day. I am very pleased with the My Memories software basic package, but the available expansions were too yummy to resist another day. By joining the My Memories Facebook page, I got a code to save $5 off my next order. I picked out two expansion packs and several freebie packs, inserted my code, and paid a grand total of $2.18. You know me - I love a bargain!
Good luck on the contest. I'll keep the entry post at the top of this blog until the deadline of September 16th.
Blessings,
Teresa

2 comments:

Made by Mandy said...

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for the CDAC congrats on my blog, I have been bursting to tell people as it is so exciting.

I did see the contest for your My Memories software but haven't entered it as I don't do scrapbooking (yet maybe??) I have got a fabulous graphics program called Xara that I have used in the past to do a page and if I did decide to take it up in the future I already have something I can use so I would much rather that someone who needs it would win your prize. Thankyou very much anyway.

I already feel like I am a winner because I found you and your friendship (sorry I am a soppy sod sometimes :) xxx)

Hope your new little bunny is settling in well and you are getting lots of cuddles.

Love Mandy xxx

Teresa Arsenault said...

Aw, Mandy, you are so sweet. You melt my heart.
Big hug,
Teresa