Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Paper Piecing - My First Tutorial Ever

This technique is called 'paper piecing' and this is my very first tutorial - ever. I hope you enjoy it.

Paper piecing brings me back to the days when I would spend hours playing with paper dolls. I really think I enjoyed them more than Barbies.

For this tutorial I am using an stamped image by Hero Arts. I chose a light tan cardstock for my base image and two different patterned papers (SU) for my patterned images. I stamped one image on each of the 3 different papers.

Next I colored the hair, face & shoes with markers. I used my Signo white gel pen for the socks and bib. Actually, I used a glitter pen on the shoes. Then I set the image aside to dry before cutting it out.


The next step is to cut out the dress and the heart on the hat. You will color the hands on this image. I colored mine white to look like white gloves.

Now cut out the hat, heart and pocket from your remaining patterned paper. Make sure to cut out the hands from the sides of the heart.

Now you are ready to start piecing your patterned pieces onto your base image. I like to use my Zig glue pen for this so I can get the glue on all the tiny surfaces. I find it is best to put the glue on the main image, instead of the patterned piece, for the hat-heart and pocket. They are so small I find it easier to do this way.

Glue the dress, hat, heart and pocket onto the base image. It might look complete, but not quite.

Next you will add the heart to the hat and an embellishment in the center of the heart she is holding. I used a pink heart brad for this one.  Isn't she sweet?

Previously I pieced two other 'dolls'. For their embellishments I used blue heart buttons tied with red thread.

Now to use these in a project. I chose to dress up a plain kraft bag using my 'twins', with a gift tag using my newest girl.

Stamps Used: Hero Arts (girl), Uptown Rubber Stamps (Happy Birthday & To/From)
Inks: Memento Dye Ink Tuxedo Black, SU Dye Ink Not Quite Navy
Designer papers: Stampin' Up (SU)
Lace Trim: A thrift store find

2 comments:

Stampin' to the Beat! said...

Love it Teresa!!

Teresa Arsenault said...

Thanks Joyce. I learned a couple of other techniques today that I can hardly wait to share.