Friday, 22 April 2011

Sympathy Cards

I don't know about you, but I find sympathy cards the hardest ones to make. They need to be serious and heartfelt without being drab or depressing. At least that's how I see it. I try to do them in batches since they require a different frame of creative mind for me.

Recently a dear cousin lost her DH to cancer. It just so happened that I had used up my last sympathy card about a week before his passing. That meant I would have to do something from scratch in a timely manner. Here is what I came up with. I hope it pleases her and lets her know that we care.


I thought it was time I put in the effort to stock up my sympathy card supply. We belong to a good-sized church so there are always deaths and births among us.

As I said, I find sympathy cards the most difficult to do. I needed some inspiration and I don't know how to find that better than entering a few challenges. I started making the following card for Phindy's Challenge Blog and then realized that it qualifies for a number of other challenges too. Here is the card and the list of challenges:

Phindy's Challenge is "Purple & Teal" - I was too late for Phindy's challenge 8^{

Critter Sketch Challenge Blog for their "Punches and/or Dies" challenge. I have used 3 punches on my card, all from Stampin' Up.

Karen's Doodles has a "Lots of Layers" challenge, which inspired all the layers on my card. Thanks for the idea Karen.

Creative Craft Challenges has an embossing challenge, which inspired me to use two of my embossing folders in my Big Shot machine. I love my Big Shot.

Simon Says Stamp Challenge has an "Emboss It" challenge so I will be entering my card with them as well.

I think that's about it. One card for five challenges. Not bad.

BTW, I hope you all have a glorious Easter weekend.

Blessings,
Teresa

10 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Beautiful cards , both are just perfect for such a sad occasion ,, I need to make a sympathy card too and as you said they are the most difficult to make especially when you know them very well xx

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Lorraine A said...

please consider turning off word verification x

Nikbee said...

Lovely cards. Thank you for joining us at Creative Crafts.

Nikki x

Craftyanny said...

Beautiful card
Thanks for playing along with Karen's Doodles
Anne x

Teresa Arsenault said...

Thanks for your comments, Anne, Nikki and Lorainne. It's nice to get some lovin' on my little blog.
:)

Beverley said...

Beautiful cards. Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenge. Bev x

sgc said...

Love the punches you chose. Thanks for playing in the Critter Sketch Challenge.

Mandy said...

Beautiful cards Teresa, perfect for such a sad occassion, I agree they are so hard to make.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp for our embossing challenge
hugs Mandy xx

Mandy said...

P.S Thank you for turning off word verification Teresa it's much appreciated
hugs Mandy xx

Mona E said...

Hi Teresa!

Both your cards are beautiful! Too bad you didn`t make the Phindy challenge. The hair on my boy-card i just coloured with ProMarkers. I just used paperpiecing on the clothes. Have a great day. Hugs...Mona