Today was D-Day for Neelix's two pink little buddies. We took him to our vet in Kensington this morning to be neutered.
Here he is in his carrier, blissfully unaware of what is soon to come.
When I called after dinner, as was suggested, I was put on hold while the receptionist went to check on his status. It wasn't until then that I realized I was actually worried that something could have gone wrong.
I don't remember worrying about our cats or dog when they were spayed and that is a more intensive surgery than castration. Maybe it is because he is a rabbit or maybe I just forget fretting over my other critters. Yeah, that's probably it.
Anyway, Neelix was fine and in his carrier when I went to pick him up. I was told that he would probably not want to eat for the next day or two. I found that hard to believe because Neelix LOVES to eat. In any event, they suggested that it might be best to restrict food for a few hours or even the remainder of the day since rabbits are not able to vomit even if they need to do so.
I tried to encourage him to drink some water, but he wanted food. I finally gave in and offered him a small handful of alfalfa hay, which is easy for him to digest. He started chowing down right away.
I went upstairs so he could finish eating and so I wouldn't have to endure his begging me for more. When I went back down a few minutes later the bowl was licked clean.
He stretched out toward me and I saw that he had layed a string of chocolate eggs (bunny poop) on the towel I had put in his cage. It seemed like he was telling me that he had to make his own meal (rabbits eat their half-digested feces) since I wouldn't feed him any more than a handful of straw.