Wednesday, 20 April 2011

53 today

My DH took me for a birthday breakfast this morning and I said to him, "I'm 53 today, but I still feel like a kid..... immature!" :D

When we got home I asked him to take a few photos of me in my basement paradise. It may not look like much, but this is where I get to indulge the kid in me.

Neelix, my English Angora rabbit is the softest thing I have ever felt. Holding him close is like cuddling clouds.

The green & red bump on the top of his head is my male Alexandrine Parakeet, Gonzo the Great. He is the comedian in my little menagerie.



I set Neelix on a mat on top of my washer for his almost-daily grooming. Gonzo flies over to supervise. How I would manage without his help I don't know.... (snicker, snicker)

Angoras need to be groomed at least twice a week to prevent matting and to keep them from ingesting too much of their wool.

Rabbits can't hork-up hairballs like cats. The gunk just sits in their guts and makes them feel full. Then they stop eating and drinking. If not successfully treated, woolblock can kill. It can also reappear, so prevention is the best way to go.

Besides regular grooming, it is important to give Angora rabbits fresh (not canned) pineapple, papaya or papaya enzyme tablets 2-3 times per week. The enzymes break down the wool so it can pass through the digestive system.

Treasure usually goes where Gonzo goes. That usually means on the top of my head. Yes, I know what you are thinking and I've warned her many times, "Don't poop on my head." To date, she never has.

Most people don't understand my desire to have so many pets. (1 dog, 2 cats, 2 birds and 1 rabbit) My DH finally figured it out one day.

He said, "You are a very nurturing person. I suppose the pets fulfill the need in you to nurture."

All I know is that my animals satisfy a deep need in me and I think I do the same for them. We make each other happy.

Well, I'm off to make some cards today. Then my DH & DS are taking me to dinner at "Miss Daisy's Tea House". I'm told they give you a take-home tea cup if it is your birthday. This is shaping up to be one very satisfying day.

Happy birthday to me! :D

2 comments:

Ellephantastic said...

Happy (belated) Birthday!! You're as young as you feel thats what I say!!

Awww your bun is soo cute!
My 3 are Oscar (dwarf lop) Ebony (a lop I believe) & Blossom (not sure what she is!!)

I have some photos <a href="http://ellephantasticcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/01/about-me.html"Here/a)

Ellephantastic said...

ok so my link didn't work!!

http://ellephantasticcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/01/about-me.html